Home Metal Detecting
Options

canine control fence

As I detect around my yard, I have found all of my underground utilities(gas & water). I also notice a bunch of 'false' targets whenever I get near a wire mesh garden fence (about one foot away) and whenever I go to the edge of the property where we have installed a canine control fence. If I place my detector down on the ground, it periodically displays a target; and I was wondering if this is from the current in the canine control fence. Anybody else knows about or has had this problem?
Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't have one of those fences and I've never detected around one, but I've encountered buried electrical cables before. Your machine might be responding to the current in the buried "fence" or then again, it might merely be signaling on the metallic wire in the cable itself.

Certainly your getting false signals while you're within about a foot of a wire mesh fence is not surprising. Actually, if you can get that close to it before it starts to interfere with your detector, you're doing pretty well.

There's nothing for it but to just avoid those particular areas, I suppose.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There's nothing for it but to just avoid those particular areas, I suppose. >>

Indeed.
    Sometimes, however, if you're in a good area, it can pay off to go through some extra trouble by trying to detect also close to noise/interference sources like this. I've been rewarded with a few nice silvers that I managed to hear through the noise, possibly because others had given up on that particular area image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Also.......using a small coil...like a 41/2" to 5" coil works real well near a fence...