Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Better to submit crossovers from BGS/BVG/SGC in holders or not?

I have never sent in any crossovers but I'm considering trying a few. What kinds of results have people had with 50s-60s baseball and football cards? Is it better to submit them in the other grading services holders or not? Thanks!

Comments

• Hi- My advice is to crack and submit! I've submitted three cards over the past year that were in SGC 92 holders. I cracked all 3 and they came back as psa 9's... I've never heard of psa bumping a card up from a competitors holder and 50% of the time they will send it back if you're asking for the same grade... They need to make their grading standards seem more stringent!! Hope that helps!
    Paul
  • Do board members think it is reasonable to expect at least PSA 8s back if I crossover 8.5s or the equivalent from other grading services? Does everyone agree that removing the cards from the other services' holders the way to go?
  • This has been discussed a lot on this forum. Type the word "crossover" in the Search box and you will be able to read the many discussions on this topic.

My experience, break the cards out and submit them

Dan
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Crack and then submit.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • DO NOT SEND ANY CARDS IN CASES (GAI, SGC BGS, ETC.). = WASTE OF TIME.
  • I actually just sent my first "crossover" to test the waters. SGC 96 Lynn Swann '75 Topps. Minimum grade wanted - 9. I'll update what happens.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    crack them. I've sent in 88's (8's) with a min grade of 7, didn't get the grade, cracked them and they got 8's.
    Too hard to see in the holder I guess.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• I've had the same experience. I sent a GAI 4 Rose Rookie to cross over with minimum grade of PSA 4 and it was sent back as not meeting standards. I cracked it and resubmitted and it came back a PSA 4.

Slightly Medicated Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    With some Beckett cards, I would be prepared to get a few that might be "evid of trim" if you crack and resubmit...

which leads you to think that you might have better optionality if you send it in the holder.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    any idea how the t206's might come back? like sgc 40? anyone have an experience with those?
    thanks
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>any idea how the t206's might come back? like sgc 40? anyone have an experience with those?
    thanks >>

Leave them in the SGC holders, they look better! Anyway, I think they crossover to the same, or better, PSA grade for T206s...
  • thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Good day,
    Crack and Re-Submit. I just turned a Beckett 9.5 into a PSA Gem Mint 10.
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Just received my crossover on the 1975 lynn swann SGC 96, PSA gave it a 9. Hope it helps with whoever was making the crossover decision.
  • BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    I crossed both the Nolan Ryan and the Tom Fears rookies from CSA7 to SGC 80 (6) I submitted both in slabs. I sometimes wonder if I would have done better cracking them.

I have a submission in now with SGC of GAI crossovers (and 1 PRO) of Bowman football....I'll post those when they come in. I cracked all of them out.
  • I have only had luck crossing SGC to same PSA holder. I have tried 3 Gai and all three didnt meet the same spec so I cracked and 2 of the 3 made the same grade with the 3rd one grade lower. I have also cracked 2 gai 8.5's and sent in raw and they both came back PSA 8's. I have had worse luck cracking a couple of the lower level grading firms.
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>With some Beckett cards, I would be prepared to get a few that might be "evid of trim" if you crack and resubmit...

which leads you to think that you might have better optionality if you send it in the holder. >>

Ahem. Precisely what I did with a card I just sent them. I didn't want to risk cracking a $400 card out of the BGS holder so I sent it in the holder hoping for a straight cross. If it comes back M/G, I'll crack and resub. If it comes back evid of trim, I'll just sell the stupid thing during football season in it's current BGS holder.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Beeeee Careful!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOME of these companies do not use MK/oc or other qualifiers. So your SGC 88 MAY come back a PSA 8MK, or PSA 8 o/c which would just plain suck!
  • theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    i have submitted only two cards for C/O. both SGC 96, both came back as 9's.