Home Metal Detecting
Options

Backyard coins!!!!

Finally, found a coin!!!! It just so happens to be in my backyard but nonetheless their mine now!!!!

Can anyone supply me info about how to clean them? I think they are a couple dimes and pennys but too dirty to read dates, etc. Tried water - no help! Any advise from you experts out there would be appreciated.

This is the second time around in my yard after purchasing this MD last year! 1st time just old rusty nails, etc.

Thanks for the info.!!!!! Rich

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    The least abrasive method is to soak them in olive oil, and scrub with a soft toothbrush. After several days, the "gunk" should loosen, but it may take weeks, in fact months, to make this method work effectively. Some people clean pennies in a rock tumbler filled with rice and peroxide. I've never tried this method, but I hear it gets an A+. As for modern clad silver money, you can't really do anything for it other than loosen gunk from the coins with olive oil, they will never regain their shiny luster. Cleaning silver coins is questionable, there are many methods, a cheap, yet iffy, way of doing this is to place them in toothpaste, but I don't typically clean silver coins.

For the desperate and brave, electrolysis machines can be built very simply. Take any 12 volt power cord, cut the jack end off, split the positive and negative wires, add alligator claps to both wires, place the positive end on and piece of stainless steel (like a spoon), place the spoon in a plastic tub of water, clap the coin on the negative end, dip it in the water (but not touching the spoon or positive wire), add an electrolyte to the water (such as salt or baking soda), plug in the power supply, and viola, you've made an electrolysis machine. It's best to do this outdoors and that you never leave the machine alone. Check the coin regularly, some need only a 5 minute bath, some may need 24 hours. It isn't a good idea to clean silver coins this way, just copper and copper-alloy. For pictured instructions, Google "how to make an electrolysis bath."

Hope this helps. Be safe and happy hunting.

Ross
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Try boiling them on the stove.

Bob
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    You can stick the pennies in a russet potato for anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. That will almost always remove most of the gunk.
    The dime is a differant story. I agree with Bob on the boiling method. I've had some luck with boiling, then submerging the coin in ice cold water and back again. You can probably get it reasonably clean, but not perfect.
    Congrats on your finds!!
    Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Thanks Ross! I think!! Being a new retiree I'm going to pass on the electrolysis machine!!LOL.
  • Options
    Mary and Bob! Thanks for the suggestion/tip! Between all the responses, I hope to be able to at least read the years on my new finds although, I already know they are newer minted coins! Rich