Home Sports Talk

So, what are the rules of a baseball "Save" again?

Please look at the box score from Wednesday's Cubs/Giants game.

Final score was Cubs 12 and Giants 1.

But, the Cubs' Gallagher gets a save after pitching 4 innings.

Can someone post the rules again as I'm sure this is not the norm for a save situation.

Thanks

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris

Comments

• Yeah, I've always found that last one a bit interesting. What exactly is meant by "Effective"? For instance, what if that pitcher that went the final 4 innings had given up 4-5 runs? Would that be considered effective? Not that the final 3 innings is that common on an occurance in today's game anyway, but I never remember hearing of a game where someone pitched the final 3 and did not get the save. Have any of you?
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, I've always found that last one a bit interesting. What exactly is meant by "Effective"? For instance, what if that pitcher that went the final 4 innings had given up 4-5 runs? Would that be considered effective? Not that the final 3 innings is that common on an occurance in today's game anyway, but I never remember hearing of a game where someone pitched the final 3 and did not get the save. Have any of you? >>

I would bet they would consider it effective for the purposes of a three-inning save.

He was effective enough that you didn't have to dig into your pen and use a few more arms, anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the logic behind it.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about the rules for a "hold"?

I suspect it is something like "you pitch at least one inning, and hold a lead of 3 runs or less, and give up one run or less."