Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Poll: what direction should I go next

Will I have my Kennedy set at 100% and it just upgrades now so I'm looking for a new direction to go. What way do think I should go. Remember I collect on a self inposed but flexable budget. image
U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
">Kennedy Halves

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    All of those are good choices, but I think an off-center set would be really cool.
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    How about early commemoratives!image
  • Options

<< <i>How about early commemoratives! >>

But I would have to start working 12 months a year for thatimage, I'm leaning to a off center set but Looks like I would have to get them raw then have them graded. No worrys about grade so it would be no big deal what grades I got. I have my eye on a 3% right now image

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Dan, hard to answer that without knowing your budget.

I voted for MS64 Frankies as this set would be easily accomplished with a very modest budget already graded.
    If you have a higher budget just go up in 'quality', MS65.....MS64FBL, MS65FBL.
    Finishing off a complete FBL set takes some $$ for a few dates.

I fear that trying to 'finish' a complete off-center set would be, if not financially difficult, very time consuming, maybe too time consuming.
    Maybe a date set?
    Maybe dates don't matter.
    Would you require a minimum off-set?
    You wouldn't mind adding another $14+ per coin to get them graded? That can add up if you're looking to complete a full set.

JMO
  • Options
    The Budget is flexable. I know an off center set would be a long endevor - I'm looking at a set from say 3% to how ever high they go. One for each %. Franklin's in 65 are my next thought.

Dan

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    How about starting a complete half dollar collection, then you can collect both franklins and Kennedy's.
  • Options

<< <i>How about starting a complete half dollar collection, then you can collect both franklins and Kennedy's. >>

Not a bad Idea, I had forgot about this set I have complete Half dollar date set

Dan

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Walking Liberty 1/2's
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    $10 Indians
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
  • Options
    Don't collect pcgs ms64 or ms64fbl Franklins. You can much much cheaper put together a raw set that's just as nice. Pcgs ms65/66's or ms65fbl would be a nicer but lot more expensive set.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just keep working on the all date half dollars as the right coin comes along to fit your budget.

Look where I have got to United States Half Dollars Date Set, Circulation Strikes (1794-Present):

And like you I am working on a self imposed budget and expect to be passed at some time in the futher.

Also have you completed the Varity Set in the Kennedys yet. A little birdy told me that there are going to be more of them included in the futher. imageimage
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    Off center set of PCGS Kennedys

I think this would be the hardest of all of the sets (doubt it could even been done, even if you stop at 2000)
  • Options
    Thanks all for some great idea's. For a off center set I was thinking of not a date set but instead a % set regardless of date or grade ( 1% - 99% ). The lowest I have seen is 3% and the high I have seen is 85%. I think I'm down to that or a set of MS65 Franklins non FBL.

Dan

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options

<< <i>that or a set of MS65 Franklins non FBL. >>

Those will fit into the date set also. The old two birds with one stone. Added and the price on those is way down since the Omaha coins showed up.
  • Options
    o-kay now that I think I'm going with MS65 Franklin's I guess I need to decide on toned or whiteimage. I think I will also work on a off center set when I can find them, I have my eye on a 3% right now.

Dan

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options

<< <i>I think I will also work on a off center set when I can find them, I have my eye on a 3% right now. >>

Saw it to seems to be going for a decent price. I allready have a Broard Stike for that date.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't collect pcgs ms64 or ms64fbl Franklins. You can much much cheaper put together a raw set that's just as nice. Pcgs ms65/66's or ms65fbl would be a nicer but lot more expensive set. >>

My thoughts exactly. I would do a nice 65 set.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm personally not a big fan of Franklins (sorry Lucy), but they are the next logical step back from the Kennedys. As high of a grade as you can comfortibly afford is generally the best. So my vote was for 65FBLs.

-David
  • Options
    Hi all - will this is my direction going with - a nice toned set of Franklins in 65, not going after the FBL coins as I just don't see paying for that. Many of the non FBL coins I have seen are just as nice as non FBL coins.

Thanks all for the Ideas

Dan

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves