Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

adding PSA packs to the registry

its seems logical to add the PSA slabbed packs to the registry. For instance, a '69 Super pack to the set. Or a '60 Yaz cello to the player set.

What are everyone's thoughts?

How do I go about trying to get this done--assuming others are supportive of the idea

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Manny, I"m surprised they've been grading packs almost a year and still haven't integrated them into the registry at all.
    I'd start with a Bowman run registry, a Topps basic and master (the latter including things like Plaks, Standups, comics, posters, stickers, deckle, etc) and a cello run. Add in Fleer and Leaf, and include variations like '68 with and without the green triangle, penny and nickel packs, etc
    Then include a pack on each years set. It could be done either as a bonus point (like '60 Fleer #80) for tougher packs, or as a weighted element for the easier packs (everything post '58).
    To not include packs in the registry is to repeat one of the huge mistakes that Global made. The registry is one of the best marketing tools for graded cards, and the low pop report for graded PSA packs a year out of the gate is due in part to not having them as part of the registry. I really hope this is corrected soon, and done so in consultation with involved pack and card collectors.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit surprised how unpopular the PSA pack grading venture has fared thus far. Doesn't seem like it's caught on at all. Maybe PSA had the right idea in the first place when they stated they weren't going to bother getting into the pack grading business. Looks like GAI cornered the market in that regard.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Adding packs to the Registry is really uneccessary. What's next...wrappers? Then you can add 1 cent wax, 5 cent wax, cello packs etc.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    Frank

I think there is a big difference between packs and wrappers. Not sure I understand your responce. Am I missing something

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    I don't think the demand will be there until packs are added to the registry- before the registry how many people would bother grading '77 Topps commons? If they build it, the packs will come.

c'mon Frank, I know you've got a few packs stashed away! Besides, PSA doesn't grade wrappers and I doubt they would.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    yes stump,i think you are, mint wrappers in some cases are worth more than the cards in them just by thierselves,because nobody saved the wrappers from the 40s and 50s,the cards enuff are hard enuff to hard enuff to find in gradable condition,a 50 bowman foot ball wrapper will cost ya 150.00 or more,although i agree that putting packs on the registy is kinda dumb,let alone wrappers lol, hard enuff to find the cards under football after the key sets as they dont have anything in order in team and player sets,
    randy
  • Options
    does gai grade wrappers, i know the grade empty boxes,not sure about wrappers,
  • Options
    Didn't flatfoot mean something all together different? I read his original posting as if he was saying it was logical to add graded packs to individual player master sets. As in requesting a graded 1960 Topps cello pack with Yaz showing on top, be added to the Yaz Master set along side all of his graded cards. Is this what you were meaning flatfoot? If not, my apologies.

NathanSr
    Successful purchases: Lawnmowerman(2), Wabittwax, mkg809, thePlasticman

Successful sales: xphunk, vjsteele4, onefasttalon, five7teen, yankeeno7

Successful trades: mijang

Generous Souls: MBMiler25, DES1984
  • Options
    GAI does grade wrappers. GAI actually stands for Grade Anything, Inc.

I'm pretty sure flatfoot meant adding packs to that years sets, eg '60 Topps pack to the '60 Topps registry, not to any player sets. You can't usually tell what player is showing in non cello packs anyway.

• Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    "GAI does grade wrappers. GAI actually stands for Grade Anything, Inc." ...funny and true!
  • Options
    I don't think the demand will be there until packs are added to the registry- before the registry how many people would bother grading '77 Topps commons? If they build it, the packs will come.

You have a point, but there are far fewer collectors of unopened packs than there are/were of cards. The PSA holders for packs is also far too large, IMO, though they are much sturdier than the GAI holders (and much more difficult to open as a result). Also, many of the high-end vintage packs already reside in GAI holders. Do you think that collectors are going to risk cracking out a valuable pack to submit it to PSA? I'd think most collectors will keep their packs already graded in GAI holders because the grade is probably going to be higher and the risk is too great to submit the pack raw to PSA.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    actually, I did originally mean adding packs with stars on top to their sets, but of course adding packs to each set is a natural course. So, if we allow a '60 wax or cello pack to be added to a '60 set, why can't we add a '60 cello with Yaz on top to Yaz' s master set?
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    Ok I got the original question now.

I agree with Frank on the adding them to the sets. Its my opinion that if they are added to the registry they should stand on their own like Auto balls.

I have been buying a few here and there and have 3-5 packs of Topps put aside from 77-83 to send in.

Sorry for the confusion
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    grade anything inc,thats why i opened a 1976 slabbed pack graded by them and it had 3 1975 topps card in it then lol,dont kow how they could miss the thickness of a full pack compared to 3 cards lol,kinda sucked ,was hoping to get some gradable commons or something, 3 1975 topps instead lol,and the pack was openedeven after i took out of case,couldnt tell before
    randy
  • Options
    grade anything inc,thats why i opened a 1976 slabbed pack graded by them and it had 3 1975 topps card in it

Randy, that was the super RARE 1975-1976 hybrid pack, LOL!

GAI has certainly had their fair share of problems, but buying authenticated packs is still far better than buying raw, especially on ebay, where resealers and pack factories keep pumping out their garbage with hardly a complaint!