Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The OFFICIAL "What Belongs In A Modern Basic Player Set?" thread

<< <i>Dear Set Registry Member,

I am contacting you because you have a Basic modern player baseball set (play years post 1971) registered. For over two years we have defined the modern player sets to include all “main set” cards. This can include regional, oddball, and collector cards. We had to define the Basic sets because there were too many opinions as to what constituted a “basic” modern player set and we needed to have some consistency.

In recent weeks, however, some members have indicated to us that they would like to see more restrictive basic sets which would include only the very mainstream issues. As a result we have loaded several “primary card” sets.

Because the term “basic” is widely used by vintage card collectors and because “basic” vintage player sets only include the very mainstream cards, we would like to begin using the same terminology for the modern player sets. Therefore, what we will be doing in the next few weeks is changing the name of the “basic” modern player sets to “Basic & Collectors Issues” and change the “primary” modern player sets to “Basic Sets.” In this way, the “basic” set will be the same for both vintage and modern player sets, i.e. only mainstream cards. The current basic sets become, what might be considered, a hybrid between basic and master.

This brings me to the next issue and I need your opinion. We have four primary sets online now: Clemens, Griffey, Ripken, and Ryan. These will become the new “Basic Sets.” Currently, these sets include the following issues:

BOWMAN
BOWMAN'S BEST
DONRUSS
DONRUSS ROOKIES (Rookie card only)
FINEST
FLAIR
FLEER/FLEER TRADITION (if both are present, then either/or)
FLEER UPDATE (Rookie card only)
KELLOGG'S
LEAF
OPC
SCORE
SCORE ROOKIE/TRADED (Rookie card only)
SP/SP AUTHENTIC
SPX
STADIUM CLUB
STUDIO
TOPPS
TOPPS TRADED (Rookie card only)
ULTRA
UPPER DECK

Before we get too far along with the addition of the new “basic” modern player sets, I would like you to review this list and let me know if any cards should be removed or added. Bear in mind, that once we have a consensus, this will become the final “basic” card list for modern player sets. Unlike the current composites we have online, we will not be adding new issues to the basic sets once they are loaded.

In a perfect world, we might have variances from one player set to the next, but due to our limited resources, we need to work with one standard list that will satisfy “most” collectors’ needs. With this in mind, I would appreciate your thoughtful review of the list. We may need to poll several times over the next few weeks before we have our final list. We will also be contacting the owners of the modern basic sets in football, basketball, and hockey to determine the final basic player lists for those sports.

The addition of new “basic” modern player sets will receive priority as they are requested by you.

As a note, there are some cross-over sets, where the player played in the 60s and 70s. Those basic sets will remain basic if the cards in the set are all mainstream. The final basic list may have a minor impact on those sets with the possible addition of few series.

I look forward to hearing your comments.

BJ Searls
Set Registry Manager >>

I personally don't think the above list is perfect but it's a start. What brands do you think should be added/removed and your reasoning behind it?

Comments

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I guess I don't know enough about how 1993-present cards are distributed, but I think the following should be removed:

DONRUSS ROOKIES (Rookie card only)
    FLEER UPDATE (Rookie card only)
    KELLOGG'S
    SCORE ROOKIE/TRADED (Rookie card only)
    TOPPS TRADED (Rookie card only)
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I guess I don't know enough about how 1993-present cards are distributed, but I think the following should be removed: >>

So, I take it you're going with a strict "if it didn't come from wax, dump it" mentality?

Personally, I consider the update set rookies to be "basic" when the player has no other cards from that year (e.g. 84 Roger Clemens, 86 Barry Bonds, 88 Craig Biggio, 91 Pedro Martinez)
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Kellogg's should definitely be off the list. It makes no sense to include one food card, but exclude some pack-issued cards. Why not include Pacific cards? They were pack-issued, nationally released, and licensed. That's as mainstream and "basic" as it gets, folks. Why Topps Stadium Club but not Topps Heritage? This draft list is boggling.

I think the solution is painfully simple: If a card within the set can be a rookie card by Beckett's definition, it's a basic card. That would include mainly pack-issued mainstream sets, but also some hobby box-issued sets. That's what the hobby has considered a mainstream card for decades, and there is no reason to reinvent the wheel here. Yes, the compositions will look different for different years. Yes, it will require some knowledge of modern cards on PSA's part.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    I glad to see that PSA is going to fix the modern basic sets. They had the basic sets correct originally, they just need to go back to the original basic set concept. Most importantly they need to have a set criteria for what cards to include and stick with. This draft list is boggling to me too because there doesn't seem to be any sort of criteria for determining what cards should be included. Its just a subjective listing of issues that PSA considers popular. The original basic sets I think had a clear criteria that I think most collectors agreed with.

I think the basic sets should include only base set cards of issues that were:

1) nationally released
    2) pack-issued
    3) licensed

This is the criteria that was used for the original basic sets. Kellogg's, OPC and Pre-1990 Leaf should definitely not be included in the basic sets. Kelloggs's were not pack issued and OPC and pre-1990 Leaf were just the Canadian version of the regular Topps and Donruss issues.

AlanAllen's suggestion to just use Beckett's definition of cards that would qualify as a rookie card is not for off from this. It would include a few box issued sets like Topps Traded but would not include Kellogg's, OPC and Pre-1990 Leaf.

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I agree with Kellogg's cards to NOT be included. But, I'm torn on those "Topps Traded" & "Donruss Rookies" set type of cards. My feeling is that they should be included if they are considered the player's rookie card.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I started a list like this about a year ago and it was rather extensive. I have it on my laptop for work so I will track it down on Monday.

The mentaility I took when I created the list was
    1. Distributed nationwide
    2. Only include the base card from the set
    3. Only include serial #'d cards if the base is serial 3'd (Triple threads, Exquiste)
    4. If a serial #'d card must be added it must be the highest #'d run. (i.e. take the 1 of 1000 instead of 1 of 500)
    5. When in doubt, don't add it because it can always be added afterwards. Taking cards away from a set is tough to do.

Talk to you all on Monday
  • Options
    All of my player sets are old enough not to have serial numbered cards. That could be a touchy issue with how many is enough to be included in a Basic set. 500,1000? I definitely agree with the nationally distributed and no food issues and no OPC. The Updates and Rookies sets really don't apply to me but they should only be included if that is the first card produced for that player.

Slightly Medicated Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I didnt see this thread but I started another topic and this is basically what I asked...

<< <i> Hello - Can someone explain to me the diffrence between a Player's Basic Set vs Master set?

I assuming (especially with modern) that the Player's Basic set only required the basic cards that came out for that year from all the card companies. The basic set doesnt contain league leader cards, insert cards, and rare autograph cards, or the rare 1/99 etc etc. I assume those cards belong in the Player's Master Set.

The reason I ask is I noticed with non modern player basic sets they all seem right on w/o all the league leaders and oddball stuff. They are listed the master set.

The reason I am bringing this up is I noticed on some of the modern player basic sets there are rare insert autograph cards in the basic set as well as oddball stuff ie Denny's 3-D hologram cards...

Does that sound right?

If not who/where do I contact to fix all this?

Thank you for your time

>>

Tim
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Found my file. I got up to 1997. Now, the way I did this was only for football and I went by the year they started printing. Bowman died and then came back to life so they are in two spots.

1992 Skybox Primetime
    1935-1935 Chicle
    1948-1949 Leaf
    1948-1955 Bowman
    1955-Present Topps
    1960-1963 Fleer
    1964-1967 Philly
    1984-1985 Topps USFL
    1989-1990 ProSet
    1989-Present Score
    1990-1991 Fleer
    1990-1997 Action Packed
    1991-1992 Pro Set Platinum
    1991-1992 Proline Portraits
    1991-1993 Wild Card
    1991-1996 Upper Deck
    1991-1997 Pinnacle
    1991-2000 Stadium Club
    1991-2002 Pacific
    1991-Present Ultra
    1991-Present Bowman
    1992- Gameday
    1992- Playoff
    1992- Pro Set Power
    1992- Skybox Impact
    1992- Topps Gold
    1992-1996 Collector's Edge
    1992-Current Finest
    1993- Select
    1993- Skybox
    1993- SP-Present
    1993-1996 Action Packed Monday Night
    1994- Fleer
    1994- Pacific Prisims
    1994- Playoff Contenders
    1994- Proline Live
    1994- Sportflics
    1994-1994 Pacific Crown
    1994-Current UD Collector's Choice
    1995- Metal
    1995- Pacific Crown Royale
    1995- Pacific Grid Iron
    1995- Palyoff Prime
    1995- Pinnacle Club Collection
    1995- Playoff Absolute
    1995- Select Certified
    1995- Summitt
    1995- Zenith
    1995-1996 Action Packed Rookies and Stars
    1995-1996 Flair
    1995-1997 Collector's Edge Excalibur
    1996- Fleer Goudy
    1996- Leaf
    1996- Pacific Dynagon
    1996- Pacific Invinceble
    1996- Pacific Litho-Cell
    1996- Playoff Illusions
    1996- Playoff Prime
    1996- Playoff Trophy
    1996- Press Pass
    1996- Score Board Lasers
    1996- Topps Laser
    1996- Topps Chrome
    1996- Ultra Sensations
    1996-1998 Donruss
    1996-Current Bowman's Best
    1997-1997 Collector's Edge eExtrmeme

Some of the sets have no end date because I stopped at 1997
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    sportsflics
    1991 OPC premer (torn)
  • Options
    Here is my 2¢ on what brands I feel should be added/removed to the Basic Set and why:
      I would remove Kellogg's from the list because it didn't come from a pack, it came from inside a food box.Because of the above, I would not add Bazooka to the list.Classic brand cards are from a boxed game (I believe), not packs.I agree with the previous poster about adding Sportflics. I was able to obtain several packs of Sportflics when they came out, therefore, if I was able to find them in my city.....count 'em.If PSA wants to add Finest and Stadium Club (Topps products), SP and SPx (Upper Deck products), Flair and Ultra (Fleer products), Bowman's Best (Bowman product) and Studio (Leaf product) to the list, how about we add Pinnacle, Select, Select Certified, Summit, and Zenith (Score products), Triple Play (Donruss product), Emotion (Fleer product), and Collector's Choice (Upper Deck product). Any others?As for the Pacific brand, I must admit that I know very little about their distribution. Whether they were in packs or not. Distributed nationally or not. Perhaps I could get some info/opinions on this particular brand.Here is my take on the whole "No OPC in the Basic Sets". I am assuming this was written by American collectors. What about the Canadian collectors on the Registry? I would imagine that to them an OPC card is more Basic Set material than Topps or Leaf is more Basic Set material than Donruss. For that reason do you include both? Even if you don't, you still must include 1990 and later Leaf cards and 1993 and 1994 OPC cards.Then, what about OPC Premier cards?
    There are some things to think about in coming to a conclusion on which of this card brands should be added to our Basic Sets.