Home Metal Detecting

First coin

Found a 1983 clad dime, my first coin. I have been checking out my backyard, since people were in this area from 1640. Found trash, but this is my first COIN!
Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards

Comments

• laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Where you going next?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • There always has to be a first. Hope your next one is gold!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>people were in this area from 1640 >>

Hmm, well, people were probably in your area long before that, but if coin-using white people were in the area since 1640, then you've definitely got some potential there!

Don't be discouraged if it takes you quite some time to get your first OLD coin. They're challenging. But they're out there, and if you keep at it long enough, you should be able to set your oldest date back, first into the early 1900s, then into the 1800s, the 1700s, and if you're lucky, the 1600s. The first permanent white settlement of any size in my area dates to the 1730s, but there were Spanish missions here from the mid-1500s until the late-1600s. I've managed to cross most of those century milestones, with my oldest coin being a Spanish piece from 1658, found at the site of one of the missions.

First milestone is to shoot for that first Wheat cent. Then your first silver. Then you can start inching your oldest date back, gradually, over time, if you get out detecting long enough and go to the right sites.

My first silver coin with a detector was a no-date Standing Liberty quarter. Not far from that, I got a 1926 Lincoln cent. That was it for more than a decade. I got discouraged and picked up other interests and hobbies, and sold my detector. Then I got back into it in 1992.

My oldest coin remained 1926 for a long time. Then, the milestones started happening.

Next coin to set my date back was an 1899 Barber dime. It became my oldest coin but only reigned for about an hour.

Until I found an 1875 Indian cent that same afternoon.

Then it was an 1829 Bust half dime. That remained my oldest coin for a few years.

Then I broke into the 1700s, with a 1776 Spanish half-real piece.

Then the 1658 Spanish 4-maravedi piece.

Of course it took several years and a lot of outings and a ton of dug trash to cross each of those milestones.

But up there in New England, you have a LOT of possibilities, indeed. Stick with it!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Congrats!
    You live in an area with high potential. Get permission for crop fields along the river...... Then invite meimage