Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Riddle me this, Batman

This PCGS price guide price for 1885cc Morgan has bugged me for a long time. How can it be priced almost the same amount in every grade?

Description VF EF AU 60 62 63 64
1885-CC 600 650 660 670 680 690 725
My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry

Comments

• Options
    There were enormous numbers of Unc pieces released from the GSA holdings. Now, almost all the pieces are Unc. There are so few circulated examples, that they usually trade for almost the same price as Unc pieces.
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is a little strange. I also noticed this is about the same scenario with all the CC's from 1880-1885. A couple of these have very low mintages also. Maybe these had much better strikes those years and cleanliness (no chatter) is what has been defined as being valued more. Just a guess!!!
  • Options
    As an example, several years ago I had a friend who was putting together a matched set of circulated CC dollars in a "Nevada-State-Shaped" Capitol Plastics holder, and had a very difficult time finding the "right" coin for his 1885-CC hole. He ended up paying "uncirculated money plus" for his "matched" circulated coin, and learned that in sheer numbers that the VF-EF 1885-CC dollars are scarcer than the MS62-MS64 coins of the same date. This upward pressure on mid-to-upper-circulated-grade coins of dates like the 1885-CC dollar keeps the price scale nearly flat as shown above. It also makes a collection like my friend's arguably worth more than the sum of it's parts (the individual coins), because of the difficulty in finding circulated coins that "match" in grade and appearance.
    "Giving away an MS-65 $20 St. Gaudens to everyone logged in when I make my 10,000th post..."
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just an observation . . .

The circ 1885-CC was at one time one of the most unbelievably difficult pieces to obtain. Prior to the releases of the GSA hoards this date/mint was similar (but not equal to) the 1903-O and 1898-O. There were a few 1885-CC circs around and they brought BIG money for the time.

Now . . . a circ 1885-CC or circ 1903-O are real rarities . . . and unique pieces of history. They were in collections where the numismatist PRIZED the piece . . . then BU examples came out by the bagload and the prices tumbled (Treasury Hoards of GSA releases).

So . . . the prices on the 1885-CC reflect the same thing the 1903-O does . . . very slight spreads due to a perceived "rarity" of the circ. piece and the overall history and rarity of the BU due to lower mintage in general.

Now . . . does that make sense?

Drunner
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>that is a little strange. I also noticed this is about the same scenario with all the CC's from 1880-1885. A couple of these have very low mintages also. Maybe these had much better strikes those years and cleanliness (no chatter) is what has been defined as being valued more. Just a guess!!! >>

this may change if silver keeps climbing.

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Price of metals should go higher with the stock market where its going.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file