Home Sports Talk

Vick's troubles suspend release of Nike product

stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
Maybe this POS never thought about his endorsement money going down the drain. Good!

Vick's troubles suspend release of Nike product

By GEORGE HENRY, Associated Press Writer
July 19, 2007

ATLANTA (AP) -- Michael Vick's legal troubles prompted Nike on Thursday to suspend the release of its latest product line named after the Atlanta Falcons quarterback.

Nike has told retailers it will not release a fifth signature shoe, the Air Zoom Vick V, this summer. Nike spokesman Dean Stoyer said the four shoe products and three shirts that currently bear Vick's name will remain in stores.

Vick will be arraigned next week in a Richmond, Va., federal courtroom on charges of sponsoring a gruesome dogfighting operation.

Meanwhile, Falcons owner Arthur Blank issued a statement Thursday, saying the organization is "working diligently on exploring our options."

"This is an emotionally charged and complicated matter," Blank said. "There are a wide range of interests and legal issues that need to be carefully considered as we move ahead, including our need to respect the due process that Michael is entitled to. Also, this situation affects everyone -- our club, our players and associates, our sponsors, our fans and the Atlanta community among them -- so we must consider all of our customers in making any decisions.

"Given the differing perspectives and strong feelings around this issue, we probably won't make everyone happy, but we are committed to doing the right thing. As the owner of this club that's, ultimately, my responsibility."

Blank added that he was "saddened and distressed about this -- not for myself, for our fans and community who have been so loyal to us."

ESPN reported that Vick had called Blank on Wednesday. The network said its sources believed Vick to have been contrite, and he apologized for the distractions the case has created, and thanked Blank for his support.

Stoyer said Nike still has a standing contract with Vick, but declined to speculate on his future with the company.

A statement released by Nike Inc. said the company "is concerned by the serious and highly disturbing allegations made against Michael Vick, and we consider any cruelty to animals inhumane and abhorrent. We do believe that Michael Vick should be afforded the same due process as any citizen; therefore, we have not terminated our relationship."

Stoyer, who declined to discuss terms of Vick's contract, indicated the company has no commercials or documentaries planned with the three-time NFL Pro Bowl selection.

In previous years, Nike has run footage and interviews with Vick on its Web site, but none of the video promotions are currently posted.

"Some of that was shown on a limited run based on rights and usage," Stoyer said. "There's nothing new planned."

The Humane Society of the United States issued a statement calling upon Nike to pull its Vick clothing and shoes from retailers and from its web site. It also called upon NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to suspend Vick.

Vick signed his current contract with Nike in 2001, the same year Atlanta chose him as the NFL's No. 1 overall draft pick. After leading the Falcons to the 2002 and '04 playoffs, Vick last year became the first quarterback in league history to rush for 1,000 yards in a season.

Comments

• rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i saw that on the news,7 million $ in endorsements are more than likely going to be going away from him,let alone possibly his freedom if he dont weasel out of it somehow-nothing would surprise me,have they ever said who the other 3 are that are basically dropping a dime on him to get a lighter sentence for their testimony?
    randy
  • perhaps Michael can endorse something at Petco? heavy duty dog chains? choke collars?

Im still hoping that Vick gets raped 10,000 times in prison; and they use sharpened stick and rusty garden tools.

Oh. and I hope snoopy finds him and pisses on his face image
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Oh. and I hope snoopy finds him and pisses on his face image >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    lol good one - i aways thought oj would get the ginsu steak knives endorement,but i was wrong,remember in all the old movies he was in back in the 70's, ironiclly, he was a cop in alot of them
  • fab4fab4 Posts: 280 ✭✭
    it is humerous to see everyone get in an uproar over this. he will pay a fine and do community service.

oj was accused of killimg 2 people, kobe was accused of rape, warren moon domestic abuse, ray lewis murder

barry bonds is accused of lying to the grand jury and his "friend" greg anderson has spent a year in jail to protect him

do you think bonds makes 15 million a year and anderson is doing this free. vick can pay one of his flunkies to take the blame and whats a

million a year for your freedom. if he was a 3rd string or a star on his way out the nfl would make an example of him

the way i look at it is : if they suspend vick the seats are empty. if they don't suspend him the seats are full and you have protestors

outside the game . but the good news is the protestors will have to pay for parking, and will need refreshments so the falcons win again.

vick is a thug and a POS no matter what the outcome. i would love to see justice one time but i'm not holding my breathe

<< <i>vick can pay one of his flunkies to take the blame and whats a million a year for your freedom. >>

This the Federal Grand Jury, not a local judge that can be easily bought off.

HUGE difference.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    i am not talking about a judge being bought. i am talking about 1 of his entourage taking blame and saying mr vick knew nothing about it.

vick collects money from the falcons and ron mexico merchandise and flunkie gets paid.

as far a being a grand jury look at the barry bonds situation. bonds hit 2 home runs yesterday and the grand jury watched

<< <i>i am not talking about a judge being bought. i am talking about 1 of his entourage taking blame and saying mr vick knew nothing about it.

vick collects money from the falcons and ron mexico merchandise and flunkie gets paid.

as far a being a grand jury look at the barry bonds situation. bonds hit 2 home runs yesterday and the grand jury watched >>

I suggest you learn what happens when one is indicted by a federal grand jury.

Your view will most likely change..
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< oj was accused of killimg 2 people, kobe was accused of rape, warren moon domestic abuse, ray lewis murder >>>

I could go case by case but why bother - none of those are a good analogy to this Michael Vick situation. Vick is going to serve prison time - guaranteed!
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    a federal grand jury has won 99% of there cases. mike vick is in serious trouble. oj simpson to my belief was just dealt with by lapd and media. if feds got involved he would of been put away.

bonds is accused of taking an illegal substance not selling it and accused of lying to a grand jury( if he even lied bc i believe he said he didnt no what he was taking). way off course of what mike vick is accused of. shooting dogs electrocuting them etc..

bonds is a saint compared to all those other trails you bought up.

the worst thing that might happen to bonds is an asterick. which is fine. other than that if he goes down 90% of sports players might go down with him. there are list of players but they cant give out the names.

bonds will break the record like it or not.

<< <i>bonds will break the record like it or not. >>

i will be glad when he does. as i have stated before the only 2 people in baseball i like less than bonds is hank aaron and bud selig.

<< <i>Vick is going to serve prison time - guaranteed! >>

i hope so.

i was just venting how athletes get different treatment than everyday people. i know that each case has it's own situation i am aware a federal inditment is so much different than the city police department and district attorneys office.

on talk radio yesterday it seemed like 50% of the caller supported vick.

• kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    I dont no if it bothers anyone else. that selig is saying he might not be there when the record is broken!

He is the commissioner of baseball. he knew darn well what was going on in the 90's. he is more guilty then any of the players that took a substance. the owners knew the trainers knew. there is no whey in heck selig didnt no what was going on. he let it go bc it helped bring baseball back after the strike in 94. the 98 home run chase was huge for attendance and fan interest.
    just like "pro" wrestling,ol vince mccmahon knew all about the steriods stuff,they just turn a blind eye too it to they get caught!, playboy buddy rose lives right down the road from me,was in the awa back in the 80s in the a.w.a.-was one of the original fabulous freebirds,ive talked to him about it and he said they most did and still do it,hes about half a brick short of load too lol,dumped on head to many times,he ats like they do on tv still,lol
    randy
  • "I dont no if it bothers anyone else. that selig is saying he might not be there when the record is broken!"

Bowie Kuhn wasnt there when Aaron broke the record... he sent a representative (Monte Irvin) if I recall.