Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Guess where the Wagner will end up.

Mastro Wagner

Any guesses at what this will end at. Man, it's so cool.

I forgot to add my guess image

I'm thinking $125,000.00.

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    that thing is Awesome!

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Mine's in much better shape. Sure it's a reprint but does that really matter? image

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    I say $170,000 with the juice. Wow, I can't believe I just said that. Crazy money for sure, but the low-grade Wagners have been selling great for the past few years.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Would the card demand a bigger price in a PSA holder or would it be the same?
  • Options
    I think the negative publicity of the Gretzky/McNall Wagner being trimmed will impact the sale of future Wagners. Sure, it will bring ridiculous money, but my guess is $89K.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

I think the chances of the Wagner selling under 100 k are slim.
  • Options
    I think this card is a fantastic investment. Anything under $150,000 for this is a steal, if I had the funds I'd buy it, hang onto it for 5 years and flip. Maybe double my money? Pipe dreams for someone with my bank account, but a great opportunity for someone else.
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the negative publicity of the Gretzky/McNall Wagner being trimmed will impact the sale of future Wagners. Sure, it will bring ridiculous money, but my guess is $89K. >>

I might live in a box but can you add more to the trimmed story
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I might live in a box but can you add more to the trimmed story >>

To sum it up: A conspiracy without any proof.

It would be like me claming a card was doctored, but insisting you prove me wrong rather than the other way around.

As to the card, minimum of $125K.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    $200,000 or more--including the juice--

they do not come up very often, and someone is just itching to spend $$ to own one I am sure
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$200,000 or more--including the juice--

they do not come up very often, and someone is just itching to spend $$ to own one I am sure >>

Agreed
  • Options
    Here is the proof!

• Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    this card will go over $200,000 easy......

there are a lot of top collectors of this set who are missing ONLY this card....

it should be firece competiton, and I see it crossover to a PSA 1...
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    That is immaterial to the price this card will bring. If anything, that helps the value of the other Wagners out there.
  • Options
    Proof?

Heh 89k? Good luck...more like 189k.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    $315,000
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is the proof!

Trimmed Wagner

Anybody that doesn't see the difference is either blind or just doesn't want to believe it! >>

And you are absolutely 100% sure that this information is accurate? Im not saying that its not but Im not seeing it as proof. Until PSA looks at it again and gives an opinion...or any other true expert, it's all conspiracy theory.

Who knows if anyone that comments has something to gain or lose by their opinion?
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    $133,000 plus the juice
  • Options
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link. Interesting read.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    $193,000 with the extras!!
  • Options

<< <i>Here is the proof!

Anybody that doesn't see the difference is either blind or just doesn't want to believe it! >>

I don't believe it so I guess I'm blind.

No offense, but there are too many hidden agendas when it comes to a story like that. People want to sell books. People want to get a certain card cheaper. People want to see another grading company make money, or to see a certain grading company lose money. And then there is always the thought that someone has some sour grapes going on right now. If you had the money and could get the Gretzky/McNall Wagner for less than it sold for, don't tell me for a second you wouldn't jump at the chance.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess with the juice $228,000

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    As far as the other Wagner being trimmed, unless I missed something on that website, I can not tell from a picture of the Wagner card from 3 feet away on wether the borders are wavy or not??
  • Options
    And is the Wagner in the photo even the Gretzky Wagner? that's a huge unanswered question. But either way, I believe the controversy only helps the card...it's like I've said before, if someone cut a piece out of the Mona Lisa, it'd still be the Mona Lisa.
  • Options
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Do you have much experience with T cards? I have limited experience but enough to have handled plenty. All kinds of things went wrong when cutting these cards. A straight on vantage point isnt a dead giveaway. The edges have to be looked at on end. People can speculate all they want. Again, I am not saying that it is not altered...its suspicion has been there since day one. I am only offering that it being trimmed is a theory at best.

And not to repeat what Onlyanumber stated..refer to his post.
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    who really cares is the psa 8 is trimmed or not unless you are in the market for that specific card???????? i dont
  • Options

Okay, back to the original question. What do you think it will bring? Anybody care to make a little friendly wager or get a pot going?
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    But I think all cohocorp is saying is that particular controversy has no bearing on the desirability of this example, which, if that's what he was saying, I agree with. image
  • Options
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Edited: multiple times by Collectors Universe Moderator >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    WOW
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    wow is right.....
  • Options
    "As far as the other Wagner being trimmed, unless I missed something on that website, I can not tell from a picture of the Wagner card from 3 feet away on wether the borders are wavy or not??"

I agree. It isn't obvious. There is no proof unless the person who cut the card from the sheet steps up and admits he did it. Even then, would it have an impact on the value? I think all the potential "bad news" is already built into this card.

The question would be, even if there was definitive proof, and not a bunch of opinions, expert or not, what would happen to the card's value? I don't think it would plummet. In fact, I don't think it would even cause a slight dip.

Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    First you have to look at the source of this story....the Daily News is bordering on tabloid....

if the New York Times ran this story, it would be an entirely different thing!

i give zero merit to this story....
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    A PSA 1 Wagner, like this one, probably has a much more interesting and rich history than the PSA 8 does.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Stitzen nailed it with his $189,000 guess. That's exactly what the card sold for! There was also a $192,000 guess. Big money.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stitzen nailed it with his $189,000 guess. That's exactly what the card sold for! There was also a $192,000 guess. Big money. >>

Stitzen must have been the buyer!
  • Options

<< <i> A PSA 1 Wagner, like this one, probably has a much more interesting and rich history than the PSA 8 does >>

I agree. I would almost rather have a beat up condition card of something like that. It has a greater untold story.
  • Options
    189 K image