Home PSA Set Registry Forum

300 Win Club: Tom Glavine 1 away

Tom Glavine's two wins away from 300. Which of his 4 rookie cards do you think should be added to the 300 Win Club set registry?

edit to say:
I know that Glavin has 3 Glossy/Tiffany cards in 1988, but non-base cards are usually not used in the registry.
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    I voted for '88 Score. It's Glavine's most valuable mainstream rookie card in both SMR and reality. Can't see how it vould be any other.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • I agree, his Score card strikes me as his best rookie card, based on popularity, price (value), and general collector appeal.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    88 score glossy?

<< <i>88 score glossy? >>

PSA doesn't use Glossy or Tiffany cards in its key rookie card sets. They are not mainstream issues.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Tommy's my man, and I've always maintained that the 88 Score is his best RC. (This isn't self serving. I actually don't have a PSA graded example of it, yet.)

It's followed closely by the Fleer, a nice bright photo on a sunny day at The Murph.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I agree, his Score card strikes me as his best rookie card, based on popularity, price (value), and general collector appeal. >>

Using vintagecardprices.com...

1988 Fleer PSA 10 - pop 399/1630 - (avg of 25 sales) = $30.07
    1988 Score PSA 10 - pop 72/273 - (avg of 20 sales) = $50.62
    1988 Donruss PSA 10 - pop 33/438 - (avg of 10 sales) = $70.41 (including some weird $128 sale)
    1988 Topps PSA 10 - 354/1474 (avg of 25 sales) = $31.99

In terms of submissions, it seems that Glavine's 1988 Fleer card was the most popular card to have graded of his 4 rookies.

In terms of value, it seems that his 1988 Donruss card is the most valuable, and the most difficult to find in PSA 10 (7.5% of graded pop).

Back in the late 80s and early 90s, Fleer's offering from that year was always considered the more popular set. Have tastes changed since then?

• Back in the late 80s and early 90s, Fleer's offering from that year was always considered the more popular set. Have tastes changed since then? >>

No tastes have not changed, except now everyone knows that in 1988 all 4 companies printed 30 billion of each and every player . ( and rumor has it they are still printing 1988 cards somewhere).

myself I like the Fleer Glavine Rc and Score comes in 2nd. just moo.image
    I don't understand all the votes for Topps. Something like this isn't a popularity contest, or which card has the best design. PSA goes by most valuable mainstream rookies for key rookie card sets. That's where it begins and ends. Topps is at best third most valuable, behind Score, Fleer and maybe even Donruss.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I don't understand all the votes for Topps. Something like this isn't a popularity contest, or which card has the best design. PSA goes by most valuable mainstream rookies for key rookie card sets. That's where it begins and ends. Topps is at best third most valuable, behind Score, Fleer and maybe even Donruss. >>

SMR is a little off according to actual sales. If you look at the final value of closed auctions, the ranking according to value is actually..

#1 = Donruss (actual sales = $70.41 avg; SMR $45)
    #2 = Score (actual sales = $50.62 avg; SMR $50)
    #3 = Topps (actual sales = $31.99; SMR $26)
    #4 = Fleer (actual sales = $30.07; SMR $32)

Ranking via population would be F, T, S, D

Ranking of total PSA 10 % in population would be:
    #1 = Donruss (7.5%)
    #2 = Topps (24%)
    #3 = Fleer (24.5%)
    #4 = Score (26.4%)

• drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>Something like this isn't a popularity contest, or which card has the best design >>

Why not? Is it better to make it about money than what the people who actually support PSA think is more important?

<< <i>Why not? Is it better to make it about money than what the people who actually support PSA think is more important? >>

Because the precedent has already been set that a player's most valuable first-year card is to be used in key rookie card sets. This isn't my rule, it's PSA's rule. I just want to make sure we stay consistent.
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    so what happens if(hypothetically) a huge number of Donruss or whatever his according to PSA "best" card is, are made in 10 and a corresponding percentage of his lesser cards remain tougher to make in 10 and the values change?

Do you stick by the PSA rules and then correct the issue and go with now the higher valued card?

Seems much easier and make more sense just to let people involved with that set to decide what is their favorite and best card to be used.
    One away.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    There have been a lot of Score Glossy PSA 10's on eBay in the last couple of weeks.