Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

Virtual Tag?

It's been some time since this subject was brought up & though response seemed good, it never got off the ground.

It's been pretty slow around here with a couple of tags getting grounded, so I thought I would see if there was still interests in this 'virtual' concept?

One of the draw-back is that there is a possibilty there could be multiple shipments to multiple members.
The thought of one member could serve as a 'clearing house' with all tagged coins sent to that member plus a small $$ for forwarding services and once all coins where sent in, the packages with the appropriate coins would be sent out to the appropriate members.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    Yeah, the Junky Coin tag was fun, but by the time the package had gotten
    to me, it cost about $18 to ship. Still fun though. Hope to do again.

The idea of a central person that would collect the coins to be traded
    taking some photos, posting them on the forum and then we could
    pick through the inventory in a round-robin fashion.

Good point. Anyone else?

Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Big Dave,
    Basically what you were saying, but all the coins would reside with there owners while the tag was live.
    The OP would administer the master list with all the coins listed & list the current owner and tag owner.

For example, I have a VF 1893-S Morgan (I Wish) to tag, and BOOM had a 1932-1964 Washington quarter set in MS64; the admin would list it:

1893-S Morgan (Owner-ajia)
    1932-1964 Washington Quarter Set MS64 (Owner-BOOM)

Then BOOM (having a list of coins he had to tag) could offer a tag offer.
    Say he offers a Complete 1932-1964 Quarter set in MS64 for the Morgan & I accept.

The admin would then list the Morgan something similar to this:

1893-S Morgan (Owner-ajia / Tag-BOOM)
    1932-1964 Washington Quarter Set MS64 (Owner-BOOM / Tag-ajia)

I could then make 'deals' OR NOT on the quarter set & BOOM do the same.
    Say BOOM does make a deal for a few Double Eagles from Claychaser (Since I don't collect Gold I'll substitute (Some) for dates.

Then the 'master' list would be updated to reflect that, similar to this:

1893-S Morgan (Owner-ajia / Tag-Claychaser)
    1932-1964 Washington Quarter Set MS64 (Owner-BOOM / Tag-ajia)
    (Some) Double Eagles (Owner-Claychaser / Tag-Boom)

There will be a Time limit set (a month?), and ALL coins involved in the tag MUST be listed by the end of the tag.
    Meaning that coins may be added as deals are made.
    Let me explain.
    Say I list a small group of coins initially, but someone has a coin I really want. They're not thrilled with the coins I listed, but in PM'ing we find out I have a few they would be willing to tag for. We come to an agreement on a tag.
    The coins I used for the tag must now be listed (and assigned an Owner/Tag association).

My thought is that most of the 'dealings' would be carried out via PM's.
    In a perfect world, only the 'master list' plus rules/instructions would need to be on the thread.
    PM's to the admin would let him know what coins are available & tags made.
    The admin would have to wait for confirmation from BOTH parties before making the switch.

Then at the end of the set time, every member has to say that the master list is correct, then all the coins involved in a tag plus a 'shipping fee' would be sent to trusted member for distribution, saving in shipping costs. It would be nice to list who they are going to based on the master list, not necessarily on who the original tag was made with.

If there was a high $$ tag & the 2 members involved would rather ship to each other that would be their option, but would have to be replied to as such on the thread & all responsibilties would be theirs only and not the member distributing the others out.

Any other thoughts/comments?
  • Options
    Yes, your idea sounds great. If we could get agreement from about another 5-10 people,
    it would be interesting to try a trial run of your idea.
    Big Dave
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
  • Options
    I'll PM some of the 'regulars' to see if they're interested.

Another potential benefit, because there would be a 'distributor' of the coins, if one member flaked out (heaven forbid), the coins involved would be returned to their 'owner' (original owner, or last tag owner).

I think this could work.
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    You can definately count me in on this.....however, I would like the members that are participating in the tag to send a designator pics of the coin/coins in question. We would keep this with the tag info.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options

<< <i>You can definately count me in on this.....however, I would like the members that are participating in the tag to send a designator pics of the coin/coins in question. We would keep this with the tag info. >>

Yes, pictures are a must...
    Big Dave
  • Options
    OK, how about this......

I can see this getting very messy (read L-O-N-G) if everyone posts pictures of their coins.
    There wouldn't have a limit on the number of coins listed to tag from any member.
    Unlike normal tags that are usually limited by value (who wants $10,000 worth of coins out there in the mail system), or weight ($50 shipping for the privilege of seeing the coins in hand?), a virtual tag has none of these restrictions.
    So I would suggest that each member who tags create a thread on the testing forum to post images to their coins.
    The master list would link to these pages for others to look at.
    This would be an (suggested) option, not a rule.

I would not want to limit the tags just because someone couldn't take a picture, especially if the coins are slabbed.
    And there is no 'obligation' to tag with another. If the deal doesn't feel right just say no.

The majority (IMO) of the folks involved here are veterans & understand that tags/swaps don't always work.
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    Count me in on this one.

Millertime
  • Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Sounds pretty complicated to me. I have no way of taking pics and posting themimage I may sit this one out just to see how it works out, but will wait to see more posts to make my mind up. image
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    BRdude,

I can certainly see that photo's would be important for raw coins, but slabbed ones? image

Does seem a bit more work than a normal tag, somewhere between a tag, swap & trade......a twad !! image

Anyway, a lot does rest on the admin, but things have stalled a bit on tags, so what does it hurt to try?
  • Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    How about everybody who wants to do some swapping/trading/tagging just post what ya got to swap/trade/tagimageimageimage Just post a list, then let each other work things out in PM's on the thread, or however works out best for them.
    Just a thoughtimage, Ok Augie, I'm in on your virtual one. i'll watch the thread for further instructionsimageimage
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    BRdude, in essence that's what I am proposing.
    I guess the benefit here would be this would be a 'clearing house', a cental location to do your search.

The thought occured that maybe instead of different sellers having a link, the link could direct member to denominations.
    If I'm looking for a Lincoln, why search through all the tag member's lists when I could go directly to the 'Cents' page?

Also, coins would not be tied up even if listed, until they were part of the tag. Just pull them out if they're sold or used in another trade/swap/tag.

Another benefit, IMO, would be the shipping & ins. to all the different members you have deals with. 1 shipment + small shipping fee (to be determined).

Lastly, some peace of mind that if 1 member doesn't come through, your coins would be returned or the last 'deal' involved with the coins would be completed.
    Lately some members have held up tags or have not held up their part of a tag/swap/trade.

JMO.
    Will put something together by the end of the week
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    I'd like to participate. This sounds interesting.

I will offer my services to create a webpage/webspace to host pictures of all the coins. Pictures can be sent to me in any format and I will post them to the "tag" website. That way they are all in the same place.

Let me know!
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    Thanks slipgate, will keep that in mind.
    Sounds great, we'll need to talk.
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    Sounds great so far! Thanks Slipgate for stepping in for the hosting.

Remember, I live by what the coin looks like....not the holder.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.