Home Stamps Forum
Options

Woohoo! Bought my first invert!

coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
Never really spent much time going after any of the 19th-century revenue inverts, but given the annual rate at which U.S. revenues continue to increase, I figure I'd better grab one while they're still reachable.

While this example isn't the greatest from a centering perspective (these are virtually impossible to find with VF centering), it's a nice uncancelled example. The horizontal line that looks to possibly be a scuff or crease to the right of George Washington's eyes is actually a huge chunk of wood in the pulp of the paper itself. Not uncommon in these granite papers.

Comments

• Options
    Hi there,
    you are a lucky man,i bet these dont come up very often,so good on you for aquiring
    your 1st invert,with many more to follow.I noticed you dont have a link to your revenue stamps
    on this posting.I found it but ive got a question for you.Is there anyone elses bust shot on internal
    revenue stamps????thats isnt washington?I only ask this cause ive found a 5c reddish/brown imperf ,that has someone else on it.it has a handwritten cancel.looks like R.M.& co.& something else written on top & something i cant read on bottom part.i can get a scan if u need to see it.
    thanks kiwidude (peter) from down under
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    My revenue collection web site is www.revenue-collector.com. You'll really only find 1st-3rd series revenues there though, which are all busts of Washington.

Post 1890, there are *many* revenues that depict people other than Washington... in fact many famous Americans depicted on 20th-century revenues are not found anywhere else...
  • Options
    Cool stamp. I liken these to a 1921 D Walker, any one is a good one to have.
  • Options
    Really nice!

Jerry
  • Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    Coinpictures - I looked at your ebay listings today. Isn't it against ebay/APS rules to sell things "as is"? Your Cape of Good Hope stamp here is a forgery.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    how could you tell that was a forgery?
  • Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    Well, the genuine is engraved and this forgery isn't (Ive handled hundreds of genuine examples in my 35+ years in the business). For examples of genuine and some of the forgeries, see website here. . The forgeries aren't even close to genuine in appearance.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com