Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Did anyone notice Satin Finish coins in the registry no longer say Satin Finish next to them?

Why would they change that?

Comments

• TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    Our set still says "Satin Finish"?

Check Here

Edited for spelling!
  • I was looking at the top set in Statehood Quarters-No Satin Finish

How Odd

BILL
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SF went away on my SAC Set also??? image

LINK

GrandAm image

Briefly known as image
    GrandAm :)
  • ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Jee, wonder why that would be? imageimage
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First do nothing!!! then do it wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    First do nothing!!! then do it wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took the words right out of my mouth image

Let's hope they are in the middle of their supposed "changes" and not done with them. If they are finished, this thread has potential to hit 1000 again.
  • Looks like they are using a wad of gum to patch a leak in a Dam. It's not going to help. The Busness Striks still need there own home away from there cheap brothers.

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somethings up, lets see when there done. Its only taken 2.5 years. Why get antsy now!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually since were all smart here, you can see that the pops will not change behind the coins with the missing Satin Finish, and also you can look at the coin # in the first column to see exactly what it is, SF or BS, but...

If you were not so smart and you didn't know anything about the coins you are looking at, it may come as a big surprise when you are looking at someone's set, especially if you were doing a quick look at the pops for lets say...buying a coin on eBay. IMHO, it will effect prices on some coins...

The variety column was is there for a reason, so novice collectors (Such as myself when I go to look at Lincolns) could tell the difference. If this is PCGS's way of "Fixing the SF vs. BS problem" I have to tell them that I am extremely disappointed! image

I will be in Milwaukee for the A.N.A., and I plan to speak to someone face to face.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was unable to attend the FUN show with one of the goals to corner Guth and Co., but it sounds like no one from the head office attended the show anyway. So go get them Stooge, we will bail you out!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • I did not notice the change in the registry. I am dissapointed if PCGS discontinues the descritpion of "satin finish" by the registry coins since satin finsih is a proper designation. The mint has used the exact same dies to produce business strike coins in the past except for the 1965-1967 SMS that received their proper designation. Business strike coins were the same in mint sets and bags and rolls. The mint did brighten up the planchets and use more striking pressure and earlier dies in most cases for the mint set coins hence so often the finest examples were found in mint sets. Now the die used to strike mint set coins is not identical it has a satin finish applied to it by sandblasting a mixture of sand and glass particles at the die so the designtion variety as "satin finsih" is appropriate and should be continued for full disclosure to all that view the registry or buy the SF coin variety made from special dies as disclosed by the US Mint. dr
  • CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would it be logical and reasonable for a change as this to be posted and explained on the Set Registry News section of the website? Or is that asking to much? This is a public traded company. I do not own any stocks, and not planning too…
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • weresteveweresteve Posts: 1,224
    Why would they change that?

Wasn't just Satin Finish coins ... somehow they managed to zap all the descriptions for the darkside commems I have in my registry sets. Beginning to think they updated the Set Registry software and haven't got all the bugs out yet ...
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole