Home U.S. Coin Forum

High sea drama - Odyssey has been seized.

MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
Someone (Spain) does not like Odyssey's claim to the half-a-billion in 17th century coins.

Text
There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
–John Adams, 1826

Comments

• GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    It's not as if they haven't run into trouble before. We'll see how this pans out.
  • RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a funny feeling Spain is going to wind up with egg on its face over this.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294

<< <i>I have a funny feeling Spain is going to wind up with egg on its face over this. >>

Mmmmmm ... huevos tapas image

• RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mmmmm. Tapas. Now I want to be in Baltimore at Pazo.

I'll bet Oddysey is loving the free press this is generating.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a funny feeling Spain is going to wind up with egg on its face over this. >>

Lucky that they already moved the treasure away by jet.

Spain tried to claim Gibraltar too

Ed

• << <i>I have a funny feeling Spain is going to wind up with egg on its face over this. >>

Lets hope so!!
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Smart move to fly the treasure to the US. Now US laws will govern. Spain would have some real stones claiming the coins, really the South American countries have a more legit claim.
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2024 6:33AM

Wrong! Spain wasn't the one with egg on their face. They ended up with the treasure.

THIS IS A REVIVED ZOMBIE THREAD.

The fate of this treasure (Mercedes or "Black Swan") as well as the Central America didn't wind up as the salvors had planned. Indeed treasure salvage from the ocean took a leap forward from a technological perspective several decades ago and the technology continues to advance. The ability to recover these treasures has increased greatly but holding on to them after recovery is the challenge.

I was wondering what happened to Odyssey Marine. They sold their vessel in 2016 and are now involved in deep sea mineral exploration. Makes sense since the rare metals to be mined from the deep are another underwater treasure just waiting to be harvested.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file