Home Metal Detecting
Options

Some recent finds to liven things up around here.

Not much new stuff on this board, so I thought I would post some of my non-coin finds of the last month or so.
Brief description: the top row are, yes, two sets of cuff links and tie tacks. They were buried in the same hole in a city park about 6 inches down. I would place them around the 1940"s-1960's time frame, but am open to any correction on this as I was alive no where near these eras. There is an unidentified caliber bullet, somewhere in the .38 range I think though. The silver horse in the gold horse shoe is .925 silver with 14K gold. The ring is also .925 silver. The cross is bronze? I think the odd thing on the far right is a stud (spike) from a dog collar or a "dog collar". The coin is a 2002 10 centimos from Peru. There is a lock and key childs bracelet with the clasp missing (no surprise there). The pendent is a Chinese coin reproduction. The little heart says "Please return to New York M94321" That one is a bit of a mystery as I have no idea what it is or what the numbers could refer to. Keep in mind this was found in Washington State. All of these items except for the cuff links, tie tacks and spike were found on elementary school grounds. Go figure on some.

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Very cool finds!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

Nice work!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    How very odd to find two sets of cuff links and tie tacks in the same area. I'm always curious how these items got left behind. They look like there may be some quality to them, are there any markings? At any rate, these are awesome finds!!
    Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Could the please return to new york piece be a dog tag with the license number on it? Just a thought.
  • Options

<< <i>Could the please return to new york piece be a dog tag with the license number on it? Just a thought. >>

That thought did cross my mind, but I seems a little odd since the piece is only 3/4" long including the loop. Another thought was some type of a suitcase tag?

There are not any markings that I found on the cuff links. The backs of the two blue glass (?) ones are missing. The two golden ones I do not think is real gold because of some of the strange looking corrosion on them, but on the other hand they were deep in the soil and it is very acid soil at that do to all of the old growth forest that is in the park. It is possible they contain gold and silver or are gold an silver covered. They do not look how I usually see gold and silver thing look when they come out of the ground.

The theory I have about how these cuff links and tie tacks got there might run along the lines of stolen and hidden to be retrieved later for a sale and then forgotten about, or little kids taking them from their father not realizing what they were really doing.
  • Options
    BTW, does anyone else have a thought as to why I keep finding bullets or spent shells in parks and even on school (recently built) grounds? Kids showing off? I know for a fact there have never been any school shooting or even "threats" in any of the local schools, parks, etc. This is a small community (@17,000) that recently celebrated its 100th birthday. Until very recently, it was considered very rural still. I do know at one time in the distant past, shooting clubs at schools were very common and boys even brought their guns to school to go hunting afterwards.
    Any input? Just some random thoughts.
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    I used to find a lot of bullets of various caliber, when I was metal detecting too.
    A lot were in populated areas as you have mentioned BullRun.

Ray
  • Options
    Fill dirt ! ! !
    Hard to tell where fill dirt comes from.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In regards to shells or bullets on school grounds. I have found more than enough live rounds there. Kids do bring them to school to show them off.