Home Metal Detecting
Options

New Specimen of First American Copper Coin Dug in Virginia

This past spirng, a pair of metal detectorists working in the historic riverside community of Middlesex County, Virginia – near where the Rappahannock River meets the Chesapeake Bay – uncovered one of the rarest and most historically important of all colonial issues, making a total of three Maryland denariums in private hands. It is now up for auction by Stacks. More information on the location of the find is included in the auction description.

Bob

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On the reverse, a scrape at the left side of the crown is the most significant contact mark, with only other minor marks >>

Looks like a digging tool hit. Bummer. But I've done worse.

Truly an amazing and awe-inspiring find.

I used to marvel when people dug Chain cents or New England coinage or $3 gold pieces or Pine Tree shillings, and those are still amazing finds, but having now heard of stuff like this and a 1792 half disme (!) and a number of Sommer Islands Hogge money pieces being dug (those in Bermuda), I think I have now heard of just about everything in the spectrum of US coinage being found. Well, almost everything.

I'll bet there's at least a couple of each and every coin (type, date, variety) listed in the Redbook, out there in the ground somewhere. It's fun to think about.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.