Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

old jefferson thread:

Sorry to change the 1985-d/1998-d in pcgs ms66fs threads but in order to keep things consolidated i will re-use original thread.

These are for sale!

Comments

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    wow... that must have sold quick.
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    That date is ridiculously hard to find with solid ms66 surfaces. GrandAm, please lend your wealth of knowledge to the data base of knowledge or anyone else on the date.
  • Options
    rayovacrayovac Posts: 192 ✭✭
    TThe 98D is by far the hardest date grade wise to locate nice with the 90D coming in 2nd for the 1971 - 2003PD dates. Both dates are readily obtainable w/FS (5 steps) but NOT in higher grades. The 90D is fairly difficult to locate in 6 steps especially in the 66FS grade. In my 65-date CS Jefferson nickel set my 90D is almost 6 steps. I have been looking for years to locate a MS66FS 6 step coin. The 98D is usually 6 steps. Contrary to popular opinion, it is not until 1992 that most Jefferson nickels are 6 steps. 87PD have a high percentage of 6 steps coins but 88-91 dates do not.

I was lucky in that in 1998 I was able to take a tour of the Philly mint. Outside of the mint a vendor was selling mint sets. I purchased 5 sets. I believe I made 3 ANACS 66 1998D 6 step coins from these mint sets. It was odd that the 98P's were not very nice (I did not even submit one). Years later I crossed a couple of these coins to PCGS MS66FS. My set coin is PL as were the other two MS66FS coins. I have been searching mint sets since and have not made another PCGS MS66FS 98D. I probably have only seen one or two OBW rolls of 98D. They were not very nice.

A PCGS MS66FS 98D is a extremely difficult coin to make. It is not very often that one is made available.
    CS 65-Present FS Jefferson nickel set at myurl
    RayOverby
  • Options
    Yes, it's sold and I might add that it has a very good home. Congrats!

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>GrandAm, please lend your wealth of knowledge to the data base of knowledge >>

I am honored to be called upon but Ray has answered the question and HE has forgotten more about Nickels than I will ever know,,,,, image

GrandAm image

Ever so briefly known as image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Sorry Ray, I wish I had known that you were looking for a 6 step 1990D MS66FS. I just sold it on eBay for $944. I am a friend of Mel's and I live in Houston. I mailed it today to a collector in Dallas who bought 27 of my Jeffs. If you are still interested in trading with him, I will put ya'll in contact with each other.
    I was just at the New Orleans Coin Show. I purchased the finest (raw) 1968D. It is obviously a non FS due to the year/mint. It hands down destroys any PCGS MS66 that I own, both in mint luster and in contact marks. I will send message to you directly, I just read your message here and immediately responsed. Mike
    Jefferson Lover & Full Step Treasure Hunter
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those who want to see what this date looks like in high grade......here's one that looks pretty nice! It's a Q4+ quality coin sporting an EDS strike (worth 2 points) and prooflike surfaces and fields (worth another 2 points). It also gets a plus (+) for it's nice condition. There are a few marks, lower right coat, upper forehead and one little one on the high cheekbone by the eye. But the cheeck area is virtually clean. All marks can be seen in the picture.
    Take away a couple marks and add some stunning toning and it would be a very nice Q6 quality coin similar to the 1999-D in the lower picture.

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Thanks for the input on the 98-d but I must change the focus to another real tough one I now have, namely the 1985-d in pcgs ms66fs.
  • Options
    Mark
    I will take one of the 85-d for a nice one priced right. Would not mind a nice toned nickel if available.
    Thanks
    Allan
    Looking For Varieties
  • Options
    okay my 3 1985-d's in 66fs have sold and now i have the top coin for sale. i also have 1 Adams and 4 jefferson's for sale in 70DC. PM with offers.