Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

To resub, or not to resub. That is the question. 1968 Ernie Banks - Results are in.

Just as a little background, I won this card at auction almost 5 years ago from DHCards during his yearly 3 week Christmastime auctions. Daniel seems to be really good with grading, and has nice descriptions of the card's history sometimes. I often read his descriptions if for nothing else, just to gain insight to a card's origins. Sometimes he'll even say things like "I don't know what SGC was thinking, but I can keep spending money on resubmitting." Or "This one definitely needs to be sent back in" (And not like the seller's that say that about every card they auction.) Daniel has even said "This should be an 8, not an 8.5" on very rare occasions. Anybody that watches Daniel's cards for those 3 weeks will know what I mean about his descriptions. I also find him to be very honest, and have lots of integrity.

So, for almost 5 years I have wanted to crack this card out and send it to PSA, but every time I think about it I say "why wouldn't Daniel have done that already?" He didn't mention anything about it in the item description, so I don't know if he did or didn't. I paid under what a PSA 8 in the SMR was back then, so I figured if it came back an 8 I was still safe, just haven't had the courage, and the biggest laugh is that I only bought it to do just that, and haven't. I've looped it under a lighted 10X so many times, and the corners look real good, but I still havent sent it. The "white" in the upper right corner is mostly the design, but there is a tiny tiny touch under 10X. Lastly, I paid around $55.00 back in December of 2002, so if it came back a PSA 8 it's not like i'd be financially crushed, but a PSA 9 sure would be nice. image

Here is a scan, and I know that no one can say for sure, but I'd love to hear what you guys think. And just to get it out of the way, I'll do it myself:

It's an 8. chaz

Upper right corner:

Comments

• Tough one. Looks great in its current holder.

Nice card! Good luck.
  • TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Looks like a very sharp card. Would have had a better chance of getting a 9, 1-2 years ago. Today, might not get the bump
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    68s are easier to tell by the back. Resub 2 or 3 times and you'll probably get your 9.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Great looking Banks.

Think you can eventually get a 9 but don't believe it's worth possible damage from cracking.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damage from cracking is not even a 1% concern. Coming back a PSA 8 is my only concern. So, the question is, will I get more from auction as a SGC 92, or as a PSA 8 (in the worst case scenario)?

• << <i>Damage from cracking is not even a 1% concern. Coming back a PSA 8 is my only concern. So, the question is, will I get more from auction as a SGC 92, or as a PSA 8 (in the worst case scenario)? >>

I think you might get a little more for the 92 but not much. That is one beautiful card. If the corners on the back show no wear, I'd crack it and give it a go with PSA.
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be careful resubing a 1968 sgc card. Several of those cards were graded 6 years back and came from a large group of vending. Most of them were undersized but true cuts. I busted several 1968 sgc graded cards years ago and they all came back mis cut from PSA. Measure it and make sure its not one of those.
    Good luck.
    And very nice card.
    It measures out fine. I still don't know which way to go, which is so wierd because like I said, the only reason I bought it was to crack and submit until I started wonder so many different things. At the same time (but from different sellers) I had bought a 1972 Rollie Fingers SGC 92, and a 3rd year Fleer Michael Jordan SGC 92. Both of those I cracked and submitted. The Fingers got an 8, and the Jordan got a 9. But the seller of the Banks is a sharp guy in my opinion, so I keep saying either he saw something I cant so he didnt try for the 9, or maybe he did and 92 is the best it will do. I'm even confusing myself now. lol
    I think it came out of a vending and for some reason those were just a hair off and PSA refused all of mine. I bought mine around the same time as you and I think SGC graded a few 1000 of them from this vending find. All 1968s. You will know once you crack it out, and look at the sides of the card, not the edge but the side.
    But good news. I called and talked to one of the head guys and told him about what I did and he said send them back addressed to me and I will look at them for you. That is when he told me about how they came from vending and he said PSA didnt know how to tell if they were trimmed or from vending. He regraded them, And most of the SGC 92 that I busted SGC gave 96s.
    And the left edge of you banks looks like it has a tilt, Might be a slight mis cut like Im talking about.

<< <i>And most of the SGC 92 that I busted SGC gave 96s. >>

But if I crack it out im sending mine to PSA, not back to SGC.
  • resub...big question. grading is still subjective no matter what anyone says. I sent in 6 cards that i knew should all get 9's, with possibly only 1 an 8, and guess what, one they said was undersized (problem with 75 minis), got 2-9's and 3 8's. what a joke. that's a $200-300 loss from some guy either can't pull out the card without damaging from a cardsaver II or was daydreaming on the job. I took scans of them ahead of time. i'd like to see if a bozo ruined a card or two when they arrive.
    have just these left, ALL OF 1975 mini set: brett: bvg 8.5, rose psa 8, ryan psa 7, bobby bonds and carl yastrzemski both at psa 8 but will get reviewed, and ungraded fred lynn rookie that i won't get graded as it'll only be a 7 to 8, and the following i plan to get graded: reggie jackson, 1962-mvp card, 1967 mvp card, hank aaron
    Toomers - Why do you keep going into people's threads, and going on and on about your problems?

Go start your own "woe is me" thread.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Toomers - Why do you keep going into people's threads, and going on and on about your problems?

Go start your own "woe is me" thread. >>

"Its not a Tuma" or toomer or maybe it is image

• cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Hi Nick,
    That's a fine looking Banks card. Since you bought it with the intention of trying for a PSA 9, then give it a try. If you bought it to keep for your own collection, why bother to bust it out and resubmit? It's looks great in the SGC holder. You know it's a high-end card no matter what you decide to do. It might just depend on what you have into the card too.

Good luck if you try PSA with it.

Rich
    Thanks Rich. I'm really not as worried about getting knocked down to a PSA 8 as much as I am about getting PSA's new flavor of the month. Whether that flavor be:

evid of trim
    Min size
    recolor

When you hear about a guy, that you know ripped the pack himself, and he gets a few "evid of trim", then anything is possible. I can still sell it if it gets a PSA 8, but if it deosn't get holdered at all, then it's worthless. I guess if that happened I'd only be out $55 + grading and shipping, but that would still kinda suck. image
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    < Toomers - Why do you keep going into people's threads, and going on and on about your problems?

Go start your own "woe is me" thread. >>

"Its not a Tuma" or toomer or maybe it is

Must be a Giants fan...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Must be a Giants fan... >>

Why? Was he wearing an Armani suit?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Must be a Giants fan... >>

Why? Was he wearing an Armani suit?

LOL, No, but Giants fans are used to complaining! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    No, I first cracked and resubed to PSA, then after they said mis cut, I then sent them to SGC and told them what happend. Then I got the SGC 96s

<< <i>No, I first cracked and resubed to PSA, then after they said mis cut, I then sent them to SGC and told them what happend. Then I got the SGC 96s >>

Oh OK. If it comes back unholdered that is what I will have to do as well.
    Well after just about 5 years of hemming and hawing, today is the day that Mr. Cub goes to PSA. Sending a few cards in on the 13/5 special, so I should know next week. Stay tuned.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    Good luck. I will be curious how it comes out for you.
  • I have had good luck sending in 8.5s from SCG and getting PSA 9s on the 68s. I think you have a good shot. It looks like an awesome card in the pic. Good Luck with it!
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Looks like a solid 9.

Good luck
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Unfortunately the way PSA has been grading vintage the past couple of months, don't expect that 9 anytime soon. I believe part of it may the hiring of "new" grader/graders. I would have waited possibly until next spring. I think 70's and newer you are o.k. but on pre 70' stuff you may want to re-think your strategy.
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Nick - I think it's a 9

<< <i>I would have waited possibly until next spring. >>

OK i'll go back to the post office and tell them I need my package back because some guy I never met said that the weather isn't right yet. LOL I'll take my chances with my strategy, fully aware that an 8 is very possible.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good chance at a 9 Nick and considering the background and your resignation to accept the possible 8 - what the heck - ya got very little to lose!

Good luck!!!
    mike
    Mike
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Hey!! I'm not just some guy, I'm THE guy. image Good luck on the 9.
    Well PSA has decided that the card is worthy of a PSA 9. image Glad I finally sent it.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! Good for you, that is a great looking Mr.Cub card!
  • bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    What does that card sell for in a PSA 9? Congrats by the way.

Jake
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Guess Chaz was wrong.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • bifff257bifff257 Posts: 751 ✭✭

<< <i>Well PSA has decided that the card is worthy of a PSA 9 >>

Sweet, I guess I should have read this thread also...

<< <i>Guess Chaz was wrong. >>

chaz did not venture a guess on this card.
  • congrats!....good job.....image
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Awesome.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

• << <i>

<< <i>Guess Chaz was wrong. >>

chaz did not venture a guess on this card. >>

chaz don't know what chaz is saying usually!

anyways, nam -- big Congrats! Is this card for sale, or is part of the permanent collection?

What does a PSA 9 usually bring anyways?
  • samspopsamspop Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Awesome job Nick!!

SGC has tight grading standards and if you can find a well-centered card...like the Banks...more times than not, you will be pleased. I have cracked out 8-10 SGC's, only one was down-graded (1955 Red Man Hoyt Wilhelm....out of an SGC86 holder into a PSA 7 Holder), other than that, all have been successes!!

<< <i>anyways, nam -- big Congrats! Is this card for sale, or is part of the permanent collection? >>

It will be going on eBay soon.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    LOL you're right chaz didn't take a look. I just glanced at the first post and assumed he had. image

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Nick, there's one on ebay right now with $100 opening bid and no bids. The seller has only one fair pic of just the front and says it should have been a 10.

Not sure what the competition does to your card value but it's hard to get a lot if a similarly graded card has no bids at $100, no matter how much better your scan would be.

Great card and congrats on the 9!

Banks psa9 on ebay now

<< <i>it's hard to get a lot if a similarly graded card has no bids at $100 >>

That auction has over 5 days left.
  • Nice card
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey

• << <i>Thanks Rich. I'm really not as worried about getting knocked down to a PSA 8 as much as I am about getting PSA's new flavor of the month. Whether that flavor be:

evid of trim
    Min size
    recolor

When you hear about a guy, that you know ripped the pack himself, and he gets a few "evid of trim", then anything is possible. I can still sell it if it gets a PSA 8, but if it deosn't get holdered at all, then it's worthless. I guess if that happened I'd only be out $55 + grading and shipping, but that would still kinda suck. image >>

Based on this information, I can see why you are hesitent to send in.

• << <i>Damage from cracking is not even a 1% concern. Coming back a PSA 8 is my only concern. So, the question is, will I get more from auction as a SGC 92, or as a PSA 8 (in the worst case scenario)? >>

Actually you will/may get more for an SGC 88 than a PSA 8 and an SGC 96 than a PSA 9;

Per Vintage Card Prices:

SGC 88 Realized Prices

8/11/07 eBay View Auction $46.00

11/6/06 eBay View Auction $46.00

PSA 8 Realized Prices (Last Two):

10/9/07 eBay View Auction $41.00

9/29/07 eBay View Auction $43.08

SGC 96 Realized Prices:

5/31/07 Goodwin $284.00

3/13/07 eBay View Auction $201.50

12/14/06 Memory Lane $344.28

PSA 9 Realized Prices (Last Three):

8/15/07 Mile High View Auction $228.96

7/1/07 eBay View Auction $225.00

6/10/07 eBay View Auction $294.00

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    nice card - congrats on the grade
  • chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    I would have said PSA 8 all the way. Lower right corner was soft. Obviously the grader(s) was drunk or he was thinking about his sweety. Congrats on the 9. chaz