Home Metal Detecting
Options

hey lord m....zheng he disc?

i just watched the story of zheng he on the history channel (tevo)....it was very interesting to say the least....i was hoping to hear your name mentioned along with the story of the disc you found in n.c.....no such luck....did i miss something?.... was'nt that dr. lee fellow trying to prove that the disc you found came from one of zhengs he's voyages?.....i may have missed any updates posted on this forum and i may even have my facts mixed up?....anyhow, i was just hoping to see the disc and hear your story....i can't believe it was'nt even mentioned.....best wishes and hh
"see ya at the beach"
imageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    He did find the disk. Truely amazing.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just watched that special, too, with much interest, and learned more that I hadn't known.

Aside from seeing some interview material with Gavin Menzies (the British author of the 1421 book), I didn't see anything or anyone pertinent to my find, though. I did get an email from Menzies once and my medallion is featured on his website (although I see nobody has yet credited me with the find, as Dr. Lee promised to do).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    i too noticed that doctor lee gave no credit to you,....whats up with that?.......at least we all know!.....if the disk is from a zheng he voyage, it's the metal detecting find of the century.....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    What was the show?
    I searched "The story of Zheng" on the history channel site and got 0.
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    search "zheng he" on the TV listings site ( I have optimum online)
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The program aired on History International rather than the regular History Channel.

I've been enjoying their "Cities of the Underworld" series a lot lately, and I think most TH-ers would like it.

<< <i>if the disk is from a zheng he voyage, it's the metal detecting find of the century..... >>

Certainly it would be one of the more noteworthy finds, if it could be proven. I doubt it ever will be, however. I suspect Dr. Lee might be indulging in a little historically wishful thinking- I sense an unspoken agenda, be it patriotism or personal glory.

Somebody on the world coin forum here translated the "authorized and awarded by Xuan De of Great Ming" inscription on it before Dr. Lee ever saw it, so I knew it was (supposedly) a Ming dynasty item but didn't really believe that until after Dr. Lee acquired it. I still wonder. When I sold it to him for twenty bucks, it was just a "whatzit" to me. I knew it was old and interesting, but that was all.

In any event, it IS a tantalizingly mysterious and fascinating item, and I now count it as one of my most significant finds, if not THE most significant find I have made.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lord m....i hope he gives you credit for finding it......i hope it is real and they have to rewrite all the history books...ha!....hope you get out to detect and write up some interesting digger diary stories for us to read....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Lord M should get a mention. IF what Dr. Lee says is true, how many more brass discs exist and where are they?
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards