Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Just published a new, 100% complete and #1 rated CN&S Type Set

You might want to check out my #1 Copper, Nickel and Silver Type Set (1792-1964) a whole lot sooner than later, because I'm liable to goose several grades by going to some less interesting (read "less expensive") coins real soon. For example, I might drop the AU50 '93-S Morgan and just go with a AU55 '89-CC instead.

G99G
Like maybe in a day or two or three . . . . image

I am not kidding,

G99G
I collect 20-slab, blue plastic PCGS coin boxes. To me, every empty box is like a beating heartimage NOT.

People come up sometimes, and ask me, G99G, are you kidding? And I answer them no, I am NOT KIDDING.

Every empty box?
C'mon!

Comments

• Why not add a MS-66 or 67 Morgan $1? The MS-66s in a common date such as an 1881-S or 1880-S are quite inexpensive relatively speaking and you'll gain a lot more points than substituting the far more valuable 1889CC $1. Ditto for the PR-63 Flying Eagle Cent. More bank for the buck to substitute a MS-64 or MS-65 1857 or 1858 Flying Eagle. Probably other substitutions would also benefit you point-wise if not set value-wise.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    WOW, you just leap-frogged over everyone to take 1st.

Very nice coins in that collection. I wish you wouldn't change it, but it's your set and not mine.
  • Despite the fact that your suggestions are completely opposite, my response to the first two repliers is that maybe I'll try to follow both of your suggestions, at least somewhat, for a while.
    I am not kidding,

G99G
    I collect 20-slab, blue plastic PCGS coin boxes. To me, every empty box is like a beating heartimage NOT.

People come up sometimes, and ask me, G99G, are you kidding? And I answer them no, I am NOT KIDDING.

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    That is one fantastic group of coins,

Took some time to get thru all of them, but time well spent.

Congratulations on the set and #1.
    -------------

etexmike
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very impressive!

I'm somewhat at a loss to understand how PCGS can designate "red brown" on a copper that grades VF30 like your 1793 1/2 cent. Can you shed some light on it?
    Doug
  • I'm somewhat at a loss to understand how PCGS can designate "red brown" on a copper that grades VF30 like your 1793 1/2 cent. Can you shed some light on it?

Yes. After the purchase I learned that it's an error, because it is my understanding that only coins graded MS60 and above, or PR60 and above, are supposed to be given the red or red/brown designations, at least nowadays. Was there a different rule in place previously? Answer: I don't know, but it certainly would seem entirely possible that that might have been the case at some point in the past. I assume PCGS wouldn't charge me for correcting their error, but that I would have to pay the postage for sending the coin via registered mail in both directions, as usual. Despite this, I could see getting such a mistake corrected, but I'd be more concerned about it if the extra points were somehow affecting the rankings. As long as that is not the case, I must admit I'm not terribly motivated to pay money to fix PCGS's mistake.

G99G
    I am not kidding,

G99G

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Wow, nice set! Some very tough coins in amazing original condition. Very nicely done
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Wow, nice set! Some very tough coins in amazing original condition. Very nicely done

Thanks for the kind words, speety! You really are right. If my really nice, "PQ" Wreath Cent could instead be fairly described as "always ugly and always rare" (it can't), I might have been be willing to live with it, whereas I wouldn't have been willing to live with it if I suspected the coin might have been "worked on."

G99G
    I am not kidding,

G99G

Every empty box?
    C'mon!