Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Question on the MS70 2007-W Silver Eagles???

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
I see that PCGS is grading MS70's again in the 2007-W Silver Eagles. Does this mean the spotting issue has been figured out and solved or is there a disclaimer on future spotting from PCGS on this coin?

Just curious image

GrandAm image

GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to say. More likely they are playing the odds that what few 70's the give out won't spot.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    It's possible that they hung on to some 2006-W's to see if the problem emerged and it didn't. From what I understand, the W mint coins are processed differently by the mint.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They DO spot....I've had one (since sold) in a PCGS MS68 holder.
    PCGS has said they won't do MS70 until they have it figured out....so, they either state they have it figured out or we know it is just that they are getting way further behind in the game against NGC.

I look forward to seeing/hearing more.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Read this on The US Coin Forum posted by Goldbully

Effective June 28, 2007, PCGS began grading Mint State Silver American Eagles for the years 2006 and 2007 based on their condition at the time of grading, without regard to the probability of future spotting. In the past, PCGS was reluctant to grade any Silver Eagles MS-70 because of the significant possibility of future milk-spotting on the surfaces of the metal, which often seem to appear after the coins are minted and even after they have been graded. While milk spots are still an issue for Silver Eagles, the quality of the 2006 and 2007 Silver American Eagles is fantastic and the coins merit consideration at the top grade of MS-70 (the PCGS grading standard for MS-70 requires “flawless surfaces under 5x magnification”).

PCGS expects to find a fair number of MS-70 examples of the Silver American Eagles, based on the quality of the coins submitted thus far. All of the coins certified at the MS-70 level are covered under the PCGS Grading Guarantee. If the coins develop white milk spots at some future date, then PCGS will take care of the coins under the terms of the PCGS Grading Guarantee.

PCGS is also investigating the “milk spot” situation for earlier date Silver Eagles.

For additional information about submitting your coins to the Professional Coin Grading Service, please contact a Customer Service Representative at (800) 447-8848 or visit the PCGS website at www.pcgs.com. Contact the PCGS Bulk Department at (949)-567-1216.

PCGS Guidance is based on the best information available at the time the guidance is developed. PCGS, at their discretion, may adjust guidance as new information becomes available

GrandAm image

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Its a business choice. If they grade a number of MS70's prices will stay reasonable and the cost of the grade guarantee will be less than the profit from grading. I am just amazed it took so long to figure it out -duh.
  • Options