Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Early half dollar die varieties

An old friend sent me several boxes of old coin books. His Dad was Jim Leslie and the first of the books I have looked at are Early half dollars 1794-1836 die varieties by Al Morton, revised edition 1970. Early Half dollars third edition 1990. A register of Half Dollar die varities and sub varieties by M. L. Beistle. And trhere are several more including old red books. These aren't exactly my specialty and they are all in great shape. What are they worth and does anyone want them.

Comments

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    What are the dates of the earlieast Red Books? Pre 1960 are beginning to catch collector esteem.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1970 edition of Early Half Dollar Varieties is likely by Al Overton, not Al Morton, though there could possibly be another book on these out there that I have not seen. If this is the 1970 Overton then it is a more difficult book to use to attribute early half dollars and I don't think it especially valuable. The third edition from 1990 is quite useful and can be had on ebay for $45-$90 depending on bidding interest. The Beistle book is also difficult to use and can be had on ebay for $25-$50.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• You are correct, it is Al Overton and thank you for your reply. If you are local you can have them including some others I have not even looked at. I live in Pasadena, Calif. and my Email is cheeksjim@aol.com. I just have too many books and am getting too old to read them all. Also my wife says I have cluttered up the house with all my collections, coins, colts,stamps,BB cards, and so on.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the offer, it is very kind, but I live in CT and already own the three books listed. Again, thank you.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    post these things in the US Coin Forum Buy-Sell-Trade Forum and you should have some interested buyers.