Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Adding images to my sets

I have spent half the night trying to add images to my 1974 Topps Baseball set. WHAT A CHORE!!! I gave up after card #200. I will start again in the morning. But I wanted to give out some free advise to anyone trying to and images to their sets. Maybe this will help.

1) Do NOT use high quality imaging. PSA cannot support high memory images. Use your fastest scanning method. (This uses less space per image)

2) Your .jpeg file name should correspond with the card number. (Example: Card #1 .jpeg file name 001.jpeg. Another example: Card #197 Wash and Card #197 SD file name should be 197A.jpeg & 197B.jpeg). This will help you later on.

3) Turn your horizontal cards immediately after scanning. PSA has no TURN FEATURE (Like eBay).

4) Hang in there...I died after 200 cards.

Carlos

Comments

• Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    I should ask if anyone has any other tips that may help me move this along a little faster in the morning???

Little help here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image

Carlos
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    kudos to you, man! i was browsing the registry today, thinking about how much cooler it would be if more people posted scans, even if it's just the key cards of a set. it sounds like a real pain in the rear, but it's awesome that you're doing it. can't wait to see the fabled psa 10 corky calhoun!
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Carlos> How big of a file size will PSA accept?
    One of my collecting goals for the year is to get scans up for each card I have in the registry.
    Tho I'm not as crazy as Carlos. . .I'm only building five graded sets image

Mike

So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    Mike> I don't exactly remember what the error message read but I think the max memory was 100K???

Well time to start adding those cards again...

Carlos
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    The limit is 100K per file and the transfer time is really slow. I have images on all 36 of the cards in my 1949 Bowman PCL set and about one-third of my regular 1949 Bowman set.
  • Options
    Carlos,

I scanned my entire 1967 set at 150 dpi, reduced the page size to 50% and saved them as .jpg files with about 80% compression. Yes, it did take a long time, but I did it as I acquired the cards so I didn't have to scan all 609 cards at once. Just hang in there.. I hope that you are using the "edit all cards" page to add the pictures insted of editing each card individually!!

Good luck!

Jim
  • Options
    I hope that you are using the "edit all cards" page to add the pictures insted of editing each card individually!!

AFTER ABOUT CARD 50!!!

I'm using 100dpi and everything is starting to work a little better now.
  • Options
    Carkim,

I tried various resolutions and compressions. The best compromise using my scanner (PaperPort OneTouch) and abiding by PSA's memory limits (100K) is 100 dpi with 60% compression for vertical images and 50% compression for horizontal images. For horizontal cards, I found that I save memory by scanning the cards in the horizontal position and bypassing the "flipping" tool; which for some reason spends precious memory.

I can scan at 150 to 200 dpi and use greater compression %, but the cards appear too big on the PSA website. I would also suggest actually editing the contrast/brightness of each image to compensate for the darkness that scan images tend to have. Finally, consider removing the scanner top and placing something flat and darkover your cards to bring out the corners better.

Despite the above recommendations, the scanned cards will not look like the real thing. However, this is the best I have been able to do with the size restrictions.

Sincerely,

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    Ron> If I use the contrast/brightness feature it pushes my memory over the 100K limit.

However, I like the DARK PAPER idea...I wish I would have thought about that some 500 cards ago.image

Carlos
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I use a piece of black construction paper that is just a hair smaller than the PSA slab for all scans, including eBay. It definitely makes the corners look nicer.
  • Options
    Jim> How did you reduced the page size to 50%??? My "pop up" window is way to big. Don't tell me I have to start over.

Carlos
  • Options
    By using Twain, at 150 dpi, I preview the card, then I crop the photo so that it does not scan the whole page. Then I save it as a .jpg file and compress it to 80%. If you look at the cards that I uploaded to the 72 Set Registry, I think that you will see that it looks pretty good.

Dale
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
    1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
    Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
    #15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
    #23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
  • Options
    Dale,

Your "pop up" window is as big, if not bigger, than mine. I want it smaller. Do you know how to do that???

Carlos
  • Options
    Why do you want it to show smaller, as long as it's under 100K for upload purposes? I think a nice large card looks great. You might be able to go to your zoom in or out feature and reduce it by 50% and do a "save as" to come up with a smaller picture. I'm not sure if doing a larger compression will reduce the size. I really haven't experimented with it, I was just trying to get in under the 100K rule.

Sorry, but I would experiment alittle with your scanner and save a pic in several different formats, then go up and enter it one at a time on the Registry and see what pops up. Once you are satisfied with the format that you like, then follow the same format each time. It will probably take some experimentation.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Dale
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
    1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
    Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
    #15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
    #23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
  • Options
    After 1500+ scans, saves, browse, continues, and ready for reviews, all cards graded PSA 8 and higher have photo's. Seeings how I currently have 8 active sets, I thought I would never finish. Thanks for all your tips and encouragement.

Carlos
  • Options
    Carlos,

That is absolutely incredible. It really adds a lot to the registry.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football