Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    Emmitt is awesome! He is the total package and well deserving of everything he has accomplished... and a class act and super role model too.

A few things I noticed watching the clip...

1. Dallas had a monster offensive line and dominated during that period.
    2. Michael Irvin was an outstanding "blocking" receiver.... he caught a few passes too
    3. Daryl Johnston was a Moooose!

Wow, that was a great team!

Thanks for the link! Go COWBOYS!

Danny
    Collecting Dallas Cowboys Rookies and Team Sets 1960-1989
  • Options
    JVetteJVette Posts: 206
    Awesome clip - and a great, great back.
    But my Detroit roots still have a place for Barry Sanders as "Best Ever".
    And Jim Brown has a place in the discussion as well.

thanks for sharing the clip.
    - Jack
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Oi! Who is this "Smith" fellow wearing Bob Hayes uniform?

I am with OSC, I forgot just how dominant that offensive front line of the Cowboys was. Heck, *I* could have picked up a few yards with the size of some of those holes they punched in defenses.

Still, the video also reminded me what an incredible open field runner Emmitt was, as well as how he was surprisingly tough and tenacious for a smaller back. Unlike Dorsett, Emmitt took plenty of head on hits and he kept running... all the way to the top of the NFL rushing list.

There will always be those who will not give Emmitt his due because, at least for much of his career, he played on a truly great team... but no one can doubt Emmitt played no small part in the Cowboys of the 1990's greatness. He is deserving of all he has accomplished on and off the field.

Snorto~
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith and several others were amazing athletes, tough gifted running backs. However I have never seen anyone comparable to Jim Brown. I realize these discussions are personal opinion sometimes tilted towards personal favorites and away from those who played before our time. but to me Jim Brown was far and away the best ever, similar to Michael Jordans dominance in the NBA. ( Jordan only won 5 more championships)image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    <<A few things I noticed watching the clip...

2. Michael Irvin was an outstanding "blocking" receiver.... he caught a few passes too

>>

Exactly. Which is why even I could have rushed for 1000 yards on those teams. How many of those qualities did the Detroit Lions have? Exactly.

Long live the king:

• Options
    P.S. In response to the orginal question, no, I am not ready for some football. As soon as the Fall Classic is over, then I'll be ready:

• Options
    P.S. Matt, I love you man.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<A few things I noticed watching the clip...

>>

Exactly. Which is why even I could have rushed for 1000 yards on those teams. >>

I doubt that Tom. Its your fantasy, so you go on with your bad self image

<< <i>How many of those qualities did the Detroit Lions have? Exactly. >>

This is true to an extent but really who needs an o-line when you play the Bucs every week image

I remember watching Barry go for a long td run against the Bucs one time after one of his shoes fell off. I can still see his sock getting longer as he ran. One shoe and all, the Bucs still couldnt tackle him image

<< <i>Long live the King

image >>

• Options

<< <i>P.S. Matt, I love you man. >>

I love you too!

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    A couple of the images that I own. I may have a Sanders but have yet to go through 400 slides from the mid 90s. Matt will recognize the Emmitt. He has the only print made so far of that slide -

• Options
    I respect Emmitt Smith for his career accomplishments and is a total class act off the football field.

But I would say the best running back ever was Barry Sanders. He literally put a fear into the opposing defense and that was running behind a patchwork offensive line most of his career. His fantastic career 5.1 yards per carry sums it up.
  • Options

<< <i>Still, the video also reminded me what an incredible open field runner Emmitt was, as well as how he was surprisingly tough and tenacious for a smaller back. Unlike Dorsett, Emmitt took plenty of head on hits and he kept running... all the way to the top of the NFL rushing list. >>

Well said snorto!!

Too much is made of the o-line he ran behind and not enough credit is given to the guy that made everyone miss in the open field or at the line of scrimmage. Would be tacklers were often juked and left behind or just flat out stiff-armed and ran over

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    To me, one of the most important characteristics of a "greatest player" tag is those who led their team to championships..its about winning..thats the name of the game...and that is what raises the bar of measuring "the greatest'. Did Emmitt play on a better team than Barry...of course. Did Emmitt through his efforts raise the level of his teammates play...I think so. Did Emmitt have to share a limited number of offensive plays with a HOF Quarterback throwing to a HOF receiver? Of course. Barry was a phenom...no doubt about it. In my opionion though....you must use team success as a componant of measuring an individual players greatness. The greatest of the great have that "something special" that elevates their team to championship status. I am a huge Cowboy fan, and I saw them play just about every Sunday....in my opinion, Emmitt was the heart and soul of the team.... he was the most critical aspect of the team of the 90's. Barry was amazing. but I cannot give him the "greatest" tag due to thre lack of team success.

A similar comparison could be made betwenn Montana and Marino? Who is a better quarterback? Most will say Marino had all of the physical skills...better arm...better mechanics etc.......but Montana had that special quality that I reffered to in discussing Emmitt that to me makes him much greater than Marino.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    barry was good. burned the pack enough. but they got there revenge in a playoff game holding him to minus yardage!! too bad the didnt when many (i think only in what '92) with him. always lost to favre.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Makes me kind of laugh these people who want to minimize Emmitt's accomplishments by bringing up his O-line, the offense, etc. Makes me laugh even more the people who say Barry would have rushed for 2000+ yards behind that same line. If anything, he would have rushed for fewer yards because the offense had so many more options.

They were all fantastic players, they all had their strengths and weaknesses. Instead of worrying about who was better, let's just enjoy them all.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Emmitt was great, but I don't think there should even be a question that so was Barry Sanders. And as far as what he had to work with around him, yes, it is obvious Barry made quite an impact on the outcome of the Detroit Lions winning games. He just didn't have a HOF quarterback, HOF receiver, at least one to be HOF offensive lineman, the best fullback in the NFL at the time, and a really good defensive group to take Detroit from a decent to disappointing team to what the Dallas Cowboys had.

So, the Detroit Lions, from 1999-present have had 1 winning season(9-7) and one .500 season. During 1989-1998 when Barry Sanders played, the Lions had 5 winning seasons out of 10 years. From 1973-1988, the Lions had 2 winning seasons(both 9-7) and 3 .500 seasons.
  • Options

<< <i>To me, one of the most important characteristics of a "greatest player" tag is those who led their team to championships..its about winning..thats the name of the game...and that is what raises the bar of measuring "the greatest'. Did Emmitt play on a better team than Barry...of course. Did Emmitt through his efforts raise the level of his teammates play...I think so. Did Emmitt have to share a limited number of offensive plays with a HOF Quarterback throwing to a HOF receiver? Of course. Barry was a phenom...no doubt about it. In my opionion though....you must use team success as a componant of measuring an individual players greatness. The greatest of the great have that "something special" that elevates their team to championship status. I am a huge Cowboy fan, and I saw them play just about every Sunday....in my opinion, Emmitt was the heart and soul of the team.... he was the most critical aspect of the team of the 90's. Barry was amazing. but I cannot give him the "greatest" tag due to thre lack of team success.

A similar comparison could be made betwenn Montana and Marino? Who is a better quarterback? Most will say Marino had all of the physical skills...better arm...better mechanics etc.......but Montana had that special quality that I reffered to in discussing Emmitt that to me makes him much greater than Marino. >>

• Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Emmit Smith was great! In my top 10 all time. I just don't see see him as being as good as Barry Sanders. I am not discrediting Emmit, but I'm not going to stick my head in the sand when I look at that situation.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options

<< <i>Makes me kind of laugh these people who want to minimize Emmitt's accomplishments by bringing up his O-line, the offense, etc. Makes me laugh even more the people who say Barry would have rushed for 2000+ yards behind that same line. If anything, he would have rushed for fewer yards because the offense had so many more options.

They were all fantastic players, they all had their strengths and weaknesses. Instead of worrying about who was better, let's just enjoy them all. >>

The "Who was the best _______ ever?" conversation is, for most of us, just a way to talk about and enjoy the game(s) we love. A huge part of the fun in it is that there is no right answer, it does not mean Barry fans do not appreciate Emmitt or the other way around. It is a discussion that has been around since professional sports themselves.

That said, for my money, Jim Brown was the greatest running back to ever play the game overall. Earl Campbell, for a few (sadly too few) seasons, was the best in the game I believe. However that does not take away from my respect or the accomplishments of guys like Walter, Barry, or Emmitt one bit.

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>Emmit Smith was great! In my top 10 all time. I just don't see see him as being as good as Barry Sanders. I am not discrediting Emmit, but I'm not going to stick my head in the sand when I look at that situation. >>

Emmitt was not as good as Barry Sanders... He was BETTER! Barry Sanders was a great running back but his lack of heart and mental toughness drops him down the list. Physically, Barry had more aligility and raw speed than Emmitt but #22 had greater all-around skills including power, mental and physical toughness. Oh yeah, Emmitt is also the NFL's All-time leading rusher and has 3 Super Bowl rings too. image

Enough witht the Sanders vs. Emmitt stuff... when things got tough, Barry quit... Emmitt made history!

Danny
  • Options

<< <i> Emmitt was not as good as Barry Sanders... He was BETTER! Barry Sanders was a great running back but his lack of heart and mental toughness drops him down the list. Physically, Barry had more aligility and raw speed than Emmitt but #22 had greater all-around skills including power, mental and physical toughness. Oh yeah, Emmitt is also the NFL's All-time leading rusher and has 3 Super Bowl rings too.

Enough witht the Sanders vs. Emmitt stuff... when things got tough, Barry quit... Emmitt made history!

Danny >>

I LOVE YOU MAN!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Emmit Smith was great! In my top 10 all time. I just don't see see him as being as good as Barry Sanders. I am not discrediting Emmit, but I'm not going to stick my head in the sand when I look at that situation. >>

Emmitt was not as good as Barry Sanders... He was BETTER! Barry Sanders was a great running back but his lack of heart and mental toughness drops him down the list. Physically, Barry had more aligility and raw speed than Emmitt but #22 had greater all-around skills including power, mental and physical toughness. Oh yeah, Emmitt is also the NFL's All-time leading rusher and has 3 Super Bowl rings too. image

Danny >>

I'm not sure he'd have that record or rings running in the situation Barry had, so it doesn't mean much to me in the comparison.

As for him being better, a picture says a 1,000 words and I like that avatar.

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>

Danny >>

Then I guess the same could be said about Jim Brown? That would surely spark some discussion.

I think that we have to look at longevity, then also single or multi season success. Some great backs were kept from becoming superstars due to injury but players rank them as the best they saw. Obviously being able to play for many years in a tough game is the key requirement. However there are some that showed exceptional skills over short periods and rival the best.

No one has mentioned Walter Payton except in passing? Wow.

Also, some would talk to those who played against Gale Sayers, watch film and rank him very very high. Just a shame that he had a short injury plagued career.
  • Options
    It is the "what if?" factor that makes the conversation so much fun and, ultimately, pointless.

What if Sayers, Campbell, or Bo stayed healthy and had the longevity of an Emmitt or Payton?

What if Red Grange played in the 90s instead of the 30s?

What if Payton had been drafted by the Cowboys or Steelers instead of the Bears?

What if Brown, Barry, or Terrell had not walked away from the game?

What if I had played professional football instead of becoming a computer geek?

Snorto~
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFan- I'm with you.

I don't understand why Walter Payton is not a bigger part of the discussion. I am a huge Dallas fan and yes Emmitt was great. So was Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson-the list goes on BUT in my opionion Walter Payton is the greatest of all time. People forget how awful the Bears were until 1984. Payton carried that team team for about 9 seasons. Every Sunday he went up against defenses that were crafted to stop HIM and he still put up incredible numbers. His highlight reel is full of absolutely amazing runs. Like I said, he is the best ever.

Brian
    Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • Options
    I'm not sure anyone is keeping the those guys out. It just became the old Emmit v Barry discussion and suddenly it was the mid nineties again.

If you like Brown and Payton better, I have no problem with that and think most agree with me.
  • Options
    In my thread I was comparing Emmitt vs. Barry...since others before my post were discussing who was greater. In my opinion...Emmitt.

If I was starting a football team and I had my choice of any running back in history...I would have to go with Walter Payton or Emmitt Smith. Emmitt reminded me alot of Payton. Both were smaller backs and supposedly lacked burner speed ...both extremely quick at hitting holes. Neither were real burners with the stellar forty times...but both were fast enough obviously. Both had tremendous vision and could read there blocks and change direction well. Payton was a better outside runner, with Emmitt being better at the inside game. The things that set Smith and Payton apart from others is that both were fantastic blockers and both were very good receivers as well. Both were extremely durable and had long consistant careers. Both were class acts with tremendous character, team guys...team leaders, with hearts bigger than their o linemen's butts. Both were champions on and off of the field. Both had to be practically dragged off of the field when it came time to stop playing. I think Emmitt would fare slightly better at the team dances though...but I am sure Walter could bust a move on the dance floor as well! image

With the first pick in the imaginary draft of running backs, BigDaddyBowman selects Walter or Emmitt...with a bias towards Emmitt just because I am a Cowboy fan!
  • Options

<< <i>SoFLPhillyFan- I'm with you.

I don't understand why Walter Payton is not a bigger part of the discussion. I am a huge Dallas fan and yes Emmitt was great. So was Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson-the list goes on BUT in my opionion Walter Payton is the greatest of all time. People forget how awful the Bears were until 1984. Payton carried that team team for about 9 seasons. Every Sunday he went up against defenses that were crafted to stop HIM and he still put up incredible numbers. His highlight reel is full of absolutely amazing runs. Like I said, he is the best ever.

Brian >>

I dont love you anymore image
  • Options

<< <i>In my thread I was comparing Emmitt vs. Barry...since others before my post were discussing who was greater. In my opinion...Emmitt.

If I was starting a football team and I had my choice of any running back in history...I would have to go with Walter Payton or Emmitt Smith. Emmitt reminded me alot of Payton. Both were smaller backs and supposedly lacked burner speed ...both extremely quick at hitting holes. Neither were real burners with the stellar forty times...but both were fast enough obviously. Both had tremendous vision and could read there blocks and change direction well. Payton was a better outside runner, with Emmitt being better at the inside game. The things that set Smith and Payton apart from others is that both were fantastic blockers and both were very good receivers as well. Both were extremely durable and had long consistant careers. Both were class acts with tremendous character, team guys...team leaders, with hearts bigger than their o linemen's butts. Both were champions on and off of the field. Both had to be practically dragged off of the field when it came time to stop playing. I think Emmitt would fare slightly better at the team dances though...but I am sure Walter could bust a move on the dance floor as well! image

With the first pick in the imaginary draft of running backs, BigDaddyBowman selects Walter or Emmitt...with a bias towards Emmitt just because I am a Cowboy fan! >>

Apparently someone has forgotten how Walter busted a move or two whilst doing the Super Bowl Shuffle.

Well they call me Sweetness, and I like to dance. Running the ball is like making romance.

imageimageimage

Word to your matriarchial figurehead, yo'.

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>

I think Emmitt would fare slightly better at the team dances though...but I am sure Walter could bust a move on the dance floor as well! image
    >>

Yes he could! They call him sweetness and he like to dance image

shuffle
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>In my thread I was comparing Emmitt vs. Barry...since others before my post were discussing who was greater. In my opinion...Emmitt.

With the first pick in the imaginary draft of running backs, BigDaddyBowman selects Walter or Emmitt...with a bias towards Emmitt just because I am a Cowboy fan! >>

Apparently someone has forgotten how Walter busted a move or two whilst doing the Super Bowl Shuffle.

Well they call me Sweetness, and I like to dance. Running the ball is like making romance.

imageimageimage

Word to your matriarchial figurehead, yo'.

Snorto~ >>

image you beat me to it snorto image
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I couldnt tell the difference in dance moves between Sweetness and the Fridge.....so I still give the edge to Emmitt! image
  • Options
    Great minds think alike, LMM.

That is the first time I have watched that video in its entirety since it was out back in 1985. I have two thoughts:

#1 That video has NOT aged well.

#2 Were it not for the tragically rhythmically imparied Gary Fenick (#45), Mike Singletary would have been the "whitest" guy on the stage.

No sign of Samuri Mike's trademark intense stare in that video. I wonder how many rookie QBs wet themselves a little looking over the line for the first time and seeing Singletary's eyes searing through to their very soul?

Snorto~

• Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    Walter Payton, definitely one of the all-time best.

• Options
    What I loved about Payton...

if it was 3rd and inches... he'd rather smash you in the mouth than run around the corner to get it!
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Walter busted a move or two whilst doing the Super Bowl Shuffle. >>

Does anyone else agree that the Super Bowl Shuffle desperately needed a cheerleader or two in it?
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    no. i am sick of football until september. chaz
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I guess we will never know what Barry would have done had he not retired early?? Emmitt was a touchdown machine, something Barry was not, he did score his share, but it seemed from 5 yards out, they would alway go with another running back. Don't remember seeing Barry do too many of those leaping over the goal line touchdowns?? Both are great in their own ways.
  • Options
    TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to break up the whos better debate....how many of you noticed Pat Tillman in the video?
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In answer to your original question - nope! That's just me, though.

Shane

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Emmitt was no Earl image

And yes, I'm itching badly for football. Even have this up as my wallpaper..

Even already have the first menu planned out: Surf and Turf fajitas image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Emmitt was no Earl image

And yes, I'm itching badly for football. Even have this up as my wallpaper..

Even already have the first menu planned out: Surf and Turf fajitas image >>

Stown, I remember some of your pics from last season's tailgating feasts. I remember being instantly hungry after seeing them image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stown, I remember some of your pics from last season's tailgating feasts. I remember being instantly hungry after seeing them image >>

Thanks image

My bum was hurting after eating these image

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts