Home Sports Talk
Options

Nine game World Series?

Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think it's ridiculous...what they do need to do before they bring back the 9 game series is to shorten the season by (a) reducing the games to 154, and to increase the number of double headers, as it is the season is too long already.

I think something needs to be done to get baseball back into the collective consciousness of the non-baseball enthusiast.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think it's ridiculous...what they do need to do before they bring back the 9 game series is to shorten the season by (a) reducing the games to 154, and to increase the number of double headers, as it is the season is too long already.

I think something needs to be done to get baseball back into the collective consciousness of the non-baseball enthusiast. >>

Should 154 happen? Maybe. Will it happen? Of course not.

The owners don't care about the game or the players for the most part - it's about maximizing profits. The owners I believe knew all about the steroid problem and didn't do anything about it because they profited from the fan interest in HR production.

They'll make the WS 9 games if analyzing that they can make more profit - there won't be any other real consideration.
  • Options
    I am for an 11 month season where every team has a 40 man roster.

baseball should be year round so start buliding those domes to keep the snow out!
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    The world series is scheduled to start on Oct. 23 or 24 this year. That is just way too late and is flirting with the possiblity of being played
    into Nov. if there are some nasty weather situations canceling games (Oct. weather can be nasty at times).

They need to end the season at least two weeks earlier than they do now so that the playoffs don't drag on so late into Oct.

But, it is all about $$$$$$ and the greedy owners and pathetic commissioner won't stand for earning even a little less than they make.

The players? I wouldn't be surprised it they would want it to end earlier as well even if it means a little less money for them.
  • Options
    reduce the season to 154 games
    AND keep 7 game W.S.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    afew more double headers could keep the season at 162. A nine game series makes no sense... end of discussion

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    This is absolutely ridiculous. How many games have to be played to quantify the "best" team. Rounds of playoffs have been instituted over the last 20 years to deliver revenue. A joke if it happens.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    Personally, I don't uhderstand the best of 5, best of 7, best of 7 playoff system. I'd much rather see best of 3, best of 5, best of 7. The way it is, the league championships are as long/important as the World Series. Let's have a little 'build up' to the main event.

Then again, I'm all up for more double headers and (imagine this) DAY games!! That would be a throwback.
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    The original world series was indeed 9 games...and as far as determining the best team, no offense to Cardinals fans, but does anyone think the Cards were the best team last year?
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>Personally, I don't uhderstand the best of 5, best of 7, best of 7 playoff system. I'd much rather see best of 3, best of 5, best of 7. The way it is, the league championships are as long/important as the World Series. Let's have a little 'build up' to the main event.

Then again, I'm all up for more double headers and (imagine this) DAY games!! That would be a throwback. >>

Two games for the price of one???? Yeah, I remember going to some Tigers doubleheaders back in the 1960s, that will not
    happen again due to the greed of the owners. Day games for the world series???? Never happen again due to the need
    for higher TV revenue that can be obtained by playing the games at night.
  • Options
    My local minor league team (the Tennessee Smokies) have what they call 'businessman specials' that are games through the week that begin at 1pm. I asked the woman at the ticket booth if these were anything like a 'Day game'. She just looked at me... ;-)
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    I wonder how much worse, really, can TV ratings for the world series get? With the constant bombardment by ESPN and FOX by big market teams, the teams that have been in the world series (and winning) it lately have no national following because no one knows who they are. The same reason the all-star game is outshined by the home run derby. Casual fans don't know these teams, the Tigers, the Brewers, etc. They don't know because the national media outlets don't give them a chance to know them.

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Back on topic, a nine game WS, at this juncture, is about nothing but revenue. The fact that the "original WS" was nine games has nothing to do with anything. Much has changed since then. A 154 game season has nothing to do with anything either. 154 or 161, so what. What has changed since the 60's is the breakdown into divisions within each league and the subsequent pre-WS playoff process that drags into the WS. This is all revenue driven.

So, for a baseball purest, put it back to two leagues without divisions and a 154 game season that puts the NL and AL winners into a 7 or 9 game WS showdown. But that will not help MLB grow it's fan base and assist second city teams with their revenue.

Leave it the way it is.

"A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    A couple other changes that could definitely help:

-Move the season up a couple weeks;
    -have warm weather or domed teams host the first few weeks of the season to minimize rain out chances
    -expand to 2 more cities, then realign into 4 4-team divisions, total of 32 teams.
    -2 wildcard teams, 4 divison winners, first round of playoffs best of 5

I love Boras' idea of building the entire first weekend of the world series around promoting baseball. Announcing the league awards, HoF inductions, everything around the first 2 games of the world series in a neutral site sounds like a great celebration of baseball and would likely gather a lot of casual fans to the world series, as well as to get them to appreciate the game itself.
  • Options
    Wildcard should go, that would solve the season playing into november, and make things much more exciting during the regular season.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>I am for an 11 month season where every team has a 40 man roster.

baseball should be year round so start buliding those domes to keep the snow out! >>

Baseball for an entire year? Yawn. It already feels like it goes on for that long. If the season were cut in half, it would still be fairly boring but more interesting than it is now.

The playoff series are fine for now though IMO.