Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Kennedy Half Dollar Die Break Cud Mint Error

Hi Folks!

Sorry for the poor photos......but.....I found this in my weekly search of Half Dollar rolls.....

Is this Mint error called a Die Break Cud?

Any premuim over face?

Are the straight line scratches across Kenney's head from the auto coin sorter and counter?

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Broken collar?
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Are the lines scratches or raised ridges.
    If the latter they would be die scratches
    Or the former; post mint damage
  • Options

<< <i>Are the lines scratches or raised ridges.
    If the latter they would be die scratches
    Or the former; post mint damage >>

the former...they are scratches.....but very straight as if made by machinery...and I see them often on halves from machined crimped/rolled rolls.....so I figured long ago that they were caused in the sorting/rolling machine...but thought I would ask everyone since I wanted to ask about the cud.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a cud without question. Since it's restricted to the rim, it's a "rim cud". I wouldn't expect a huge premium in value, but it's definitely a cud.
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    It is indeed a rim cud. The rim gutter of the obverse die face broke off here. The premium is very slight. The scratches could be from anything.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    Some vending machines, especially the older ones, sometimes used a "probe" to drag across the coin to make sure it wasn't a washer. If there was too much tension on the probe or if for some reason the probe had a sharp point it could cause a scratch as it scraped across the coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file