Home U.S. Coin Forum

Slabbing of lower grades of rare coins.....

I have collected coins most of my life and the vast majority of my coins are raw. I have some decent MS64-66 coins I intend to submit in the future. My question is..... Is it worthwhile to submit rarer coins such as the Walking Liberty 21, 21D or Washington 32D and 32S that will grade in the Fine to VF range.

Comments

• It will make them much easier to sell, be prepared for some BodyBags though.

• I would say so. It verifies authenticity, and for Registry-goers on a budget, provides a registry coin to fill their holes.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    On circ stuff like the 32-d & 32-s quarters the main reason is for authenticity. If you were to sell them on ebay some people might not bid if it's raw since there are some of them out there with added mint marks.

Selling them in person it might not matter assuming the buyer is confident they can tell it's authentic.

To slab or not to slab image
    Ed
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually allmost all or any of the key/semi date coins will sell for more in a slab. Any of the top three will make your money back and may even double it.
    There are just too many scams on eBay that buyers are looking for some kind of protection.

As for the comment about the body bags. That in it's self is your protection as a seller that you don't sell a fake coin that can lead to negitive feed back.
  • orieorie Posts: 998
    It's a good idea to have them slabbed, if you don't like the look, crack 'em out. A cheap way to get an unbiased expert opinion.
  • vega1vega1 Posts: 941
    Absolutely... assuming you want to sell them anyway. Authenticity can be a concern with lower grade examples of rare coins (take the 16-D dime for example).
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭
    yep, keys in slabs sell easier and for more.
  • LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>yep, keys in slabs sell easier and for more. >>

• mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    All my US coins are slabbed, except for very few that are worth less than $50 each.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file