Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the longest time period you have heard a coin has remained in the same family?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recall the Bay Area Asian family who had a rare 1850's date SF Mint gold coin (1854S Quarter Eagle I seem to recall) that had been acquired by an ancestor in the 1850's and that had been passed down through the family since then. The family produced it in 2005 and after being graded by NGS at the 2005 SF ANA it was sold. That would make it about 150 years in the same family.

Cool story IMHO.

Does anyone have any other similar stories? I think it would be great to hear of an MS 18th Century US Coin made in the 1790's that has been in the same family since the coin was minted over 210 years ago. If such a case exists, I assume the family probably lived in or around Philly or at best the New York/New England area.

FWIW, I have posted before about my father in law (now 88 and born in 1919) getting in 1925 from his aunt a new 1925D Quarter Eagle and still having it today, 82 years later.

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be great to hear of an MS 18th Century US Coin made in the 1790's that has been in the same family since the coin was minted over 210 years ago. If such a case exists, I assume the family probably lived in or around Philly or at best the New York/New England area.

The rather famous 1799 "Boston Dollar" that I used to own [PCGS MS66] was held by a Boston family until the 1960's.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Details, TCN, details pleaseimage

What family was it and what was the story behind the family having the coin for so long? (Did the family acquire it fresh from the mint in 1799?).

Thanks, SanctionII.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll bet there are many coins in European collections that have been in the same family for hundreds of years.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I think it would be great to hear of an MS 18th Century US Coin made in the 1790's that has been in the same family since the coin was minted over 210 years ago. If such a case exists, I assume the family probably lived in or around Philly or at best the New York/New England area.

The rather famous 1799 "Boston Dollar" that I used to own [PCGS MS66] was held by a Boston family until the 1960's. >>

How long did you hold it?image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    They aren't US but I have some Conder tokens that were sruck by Matthew Boulton , and from James Watt, in 1793 and 1795 that remained in their personal collections until the families put them on the market around 2004.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 80-90 years thai I know of. My Grandfather on my mother's side had it as far back as the early 1900s.
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>I'll bet there are many coins in European collections that have been in the same family for hundreds of years. >>

I'd imagine the British Royal family has coins going back to William I in 1066, seeing as the island has never been conquered. Hmm, I wonder how big a coin collection the royal family has, or if it is all handed over to one of the museums?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some minor coins that have been in my family around 100 years.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file