Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Baltimore show report (day 3)

The stay started off with a bang despite the funky early morning weather. Around 100 people were lined up at the door at 10am to see the goodies. Type material is still moving well in the medium circ grades. Barber dimes in VG through XF flew out of our showcases first, followed by seated material of all denominations. Generic gold in AU and low unc is moving at the lower levels for anyone willing to part with it.
We finally managed to find some material to buy. There is some fresher material but it is hard to find, and priced near the top, but fresh is fresh and the few that are seeing it are jumping on it quickly.
At this time (2:30pm) quite a few dealers have packed up and gone home to regain the energy for the shows next week. The bourse floor is quieting down to a low hum, but collectors are still searching. For the most part, the collectors who have come to us are looking to fill holes in the collections. They have their 7070 list in hand, and are buying the coins to fill the holes.
While the summer show is certianly slower than the fall and spring shows, and lack of fresh material is still slowing the market down a bit, this show is certianly better than last year as far as most dealers sales are going.
After getting a break long enough to walk a good chunk of the floor, I stopped by Gold Rush Galleries to drool over their newest Brasher counterpunched coin. For those with a weak heart, I will leave the value unlisted image
While there are more popular coins here on the floor, for us, it was the highlight piece of the show.
The Bowers auction was quiet overall, but realized strong prices, especially in the currency end. A lot stronger than most in attendence were prepared to go. The currency market is growing by leaps and bounds, and won't be much of a little numismatic stepchild much longer.
In some ways, I am glad to see the surge, but in others the currency market is following the coins with most buyers paying far more attention to the plastic than the piece itself.
For the forum members who stopped by, I offer my thanks. It was nice to put a face to some of the names. In speaking with the forum dealers in attendence, most are having a good show, and are buying what they can. We would all love it to be like the Nov. show, but it is still a baltimore show at heart.
My congrats go out to Whitman for putting on one heck of a show, and building upon what Ed and Gordon created.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is most of the currency in the auction slabbed?

I can recall ten years ago, when currency slabbing was just starting, that the great majority of the currency dealers were dead set against it. Is this now changing?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Another great report. Thanks Steve.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report. I spent most of the day at the show Friday and wish I could have been there today. image Ah, family...they just don't understand! image

I think it was a good show with some decent activity. A few times I had to wait in line to look in the cases of some of the dealers - so business overall seemed good. However, I focus on colonial and early copper...there was not a lot to be had in my area. Maybe I'm just too picky.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file