Home U.S. Coin Forum

ANACS Grading question about PVC

I read on this board awhile back that if I submit coins to ANACS for grading and some come back as ungraded and marked as PVC damage that I can then re-send the PVC coins to ANACS as Regrades and state that they're PVC on the submission form and include $5 per PVC coin and ANACS will holder them in the old holders with a details grade and noting the PVC on the ANACS coin label. Is this true?

Sean
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

-Mark Twain

Comments

• tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • I'll re-phrase. If I get two raw coins back from ANACS and the reason they list is PVC damage, can I send em in via Regrade service and they'll get slabbed like other problem coins do, with a details grade? I read something to that effect on this board awhile back.

Sean

-Mark Twain
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    no,

I believe the ONLY coins they will not holder are coins with active PVC.

rinse them in acetone and resubmit them.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    They will not holder it with the PVC.
    They return it in a numbered flip.

You can resubmit it after you rinse it with acetone and send it back in the same numbered flip that they returned it in with a $5 fee and they will holder it in a no problem holder (assuming it has no problem).

Ed
  • That's what I was referring to in my convoluted ramblings image I didn't know they had to have a bath first. Unfortunately I didn't keep the labeled slips they sent me, so I guess I'll have to do the regular fee.

Can a styrofoam cup or bowl be used to do the acetone bath?

-Mark Twain
  • Only if you want to watch the acetone pour right through the styrofoam cup or bowl without stopping.

Use glass. Acetone will attack some types of plastic (Some like acetone it will dissilve completely. Would you believe you can dissolve a rather large box of styrofoam peanuts into a cup of acetone?) and leave a contamination film on the coins
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

If you put acetone in a styrofoam cup the cup will dissolve and become like napalm and get plastic on the coins.

Use a glass image
    Ed
  • Can't use latex gloves to hold the coin and swish it I assume?

-Mark Twain
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd call ANACS to confirm, of course.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't use latex gloves to hold the coin and swish it I assume? >>

It would disolve the latex and then it would get on the coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file