Home Metal Detecting
Options

Heading to the beach to do some MD'ing... Any tips?

Heading to Oak Island, NC for a week to do some fishing and MD'ing. Any tips? Anything I should look out for?
To support LordM's European Trip, click here!

Comments

• Options
    Do you need company? Wishful thinking. Anyway, I used to always look where people congregate and go over those areas early evening and morning. Always some loose change found. No luck with jewelry in the past but still looking.
  • Options
    I wish I had tips for you. I swing a White’s MXT that has a “salt” setting. I can’t figure out how to work the thing in salty sand.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Well, thanks so far guys.

Oak Island is not one of those crowded beaches, maybe 5-10 faimilies on a 250ft stretch of beach during the busy part of the day. Hopefully I won't have to wait until it gets dark to do some detecting, but I don't want to bother the beach patrons during the day.

I hope I find something good!
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Some places require you to get a permit.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    what machine are you going to be swinging?....you just never know at the beach?
    * heavy traffic areas, entrance ways and such
    * the blanket line....grid the blanket line and take your time
    *picinic areas boo boo....you may just find yourself a picinic basket and lots o coins
    * the wet sand/water....my favorites.....if you can wade or snorkle with your machine that would be the place to hunt.
    good luck, hope you find lots o goodies
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    My machine is nothing to call home about. It works okay, but it's no $500 metal detector. I can't even remember the name of it right off the top of my head.

I plan to do a lot of searching, everywhere. I don't know if it'll tolerate water, but we shall see image