Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anybody have any Italian coins to share?

We don' t see too many italian pieces shared on this forum. How about sharing some italian coins old and new? I will start it off with this 1697 1/2 piastra from the papal states that finally arrived today in the mail.

Comments

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a nice one!

I have a couple, would like to have more but the stuff I like is WAAAY spendy.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Very nice papal coin! Below are two that I have.

Innocent XI Piastra (ca. 1684)

Innocent XI Testone (1688)
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    A few Baroque Papal:

Innocent XI, undated 1/2 piastra. Incredible style of design elements on both sides and why I like the Baroque.

imageimage

Alexander VIII, testone, 1690. From George Beach. As I recall I traded a lower grade coin of the same type and maybe $100-. What a deal!

imageimage

Innocent XII, 1693 1/2 piastra. There are 2 varieties of these, with the pelican facing both right and left. I have 2 of the same type, drat! 1986 Karl Stephens purchase.

imageimage

One of my top 5 favorite papal coins. Elderly portrait of the pope on the obverse and Noah's ark landing on Mt Ararat on the reverse. Innocent XII, year 7 1/2 piastra.

imageimage

imageimageimageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

imageimage
  • Options
    Naples 6 ducati 1767

"Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow - some stunning coins everybody! I have not seen some of these varieties shared on this forum in the past.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Two others of Innocent 12th, a piastra and a grosso to help show the scale of the silver coinage. If I recall collectly, the piastra = 21 grossi or 105 baiocchi.

BTW, I bought the piastra years ago as a mounted coin (clear at 12 o'clock) at a significant discount. I've bought several such pieces over the years if they have good overall eye appeal, if the mount, hole or other damage is not too distracting, and if the discount is reasonable. Perhaps not a purist's approach, but it has worked out over the years in getting nice, impressive coins without selling the farm.

imageimage

Sometimes I think that the mount can even be attractive/interesting. Don't have too many of these but this is an interesting AR medal for the establishment of the papal RR by Pius IX. It was taken from a captured German SS man in France by a US Vet and must have been a souvenir of the German's time in Italy. I have the medal with and without the mount, and the unmounted one is worth more, but it does add a bit of zip to the collection.....

imageimage

imageimageimageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Both already sold, but are still nice to look at:

ITALIAN STATES Ferdinand of Aragon Naples 1458-1494 Coronato -- #ME17353
    AR Coronato 25mm. 3.95g. Fourth issue, 1488-1494
    Crowned, armored bust right.
    FERRANDVS : ARAGO : REX : SI : HI
    The archangel Michael standing facing, holding shield and lance, with which he dispatches the dragon.
    • IVSTA – TVENDA – •
    CNI 613: Pannuti Riccio 18; MEC 14, 997; Crusafont. 657A

ITALIAN STATES Charles of Bourbon (Carlo di Borbone) Sicily 1750-VB FN Oncia--#WC19459
    AV Oncia 22mm. 4.3g.
    Laureate bust right.
    CAROLVS. D. G. SIC. ET. HIE. REX.
    Phoenix rising from flames; sun above.
    RESV-RGIT
    Spahr 76; Fr. 887; KM Craig #14a
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭

imageimage
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 5 lire that www posted is one of my favorite designs. Wonder if that coin is what inspired the magical bow scene in the movie "titanic"? image
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose this is free advertising for VCoins, but what coin collector would not find this design to be striking?
    ITALY.PAPALCY.Pope Alexander VII 1655-1667.AR.Guilio.