Home PSA Set Registry Forum

I've noticed a trend on ebay on prices......bear with me......

Ok, this trend is just for Kaline cards, but, I noticed here a while back someone talked about 50's and 60's star cards being
much much cheaper.

Well, since I sold a lot of my MINT 9 and GEM MINT 10 Kaline stuff a couple years back and the prices had softened, I thought
I would jump back in and buy them back.

The trend is unbelievable from my point of view (AGAIN, for Kaline cards). 1974 Topps Kaline PSA 9 bidding up to $350+++?
Are you kidding me? This card is worth $100-$150.

1972 Topps Kaline PSA 9--The absolute EASIEST Kaline to get in MINT 9 $400+++? Unbelievable. This is also a $100-$125
card!

I now see that a 1965 on ebay is bid to over $800 ! This card is just a $375-$450 card. A 1970 Kaline Mint 9 (I missed the
bidding on this one as I had to go take my daughter somewhere) sold for $175. I thought that was too cheap. I would have
paid $225 for it. So, I see a couple more come up for auction within a week. One sells for $375 and the other goes for
like $400!

Now, I understand that many cards on ebay are all over the place as far as price, but, my notice of the trend for just the
Kaline cards seems to be on a LARGER UPWARD TREND. So, someone explain this to me and has anybody else noticed
a trend for their favorite players card in the same manner that I just described?

Tony
KalineFan

Comments

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect pete rose cards. And Im getting them much cheaper now than I did 2 years ago.
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I sort of disagree with your generalized conclusion, KalineFan. I think star cards have always been strong in PSA 9 and 10 but the trend for 7s and 8s have been significantly downward (to generalize as well because there are many exceptions).

• Back when you sold, did you sell "GEM" graded cards or PSA graded cards. GEM graded cards to me are nearly worthless.
    There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!
  • Cincykid8123

What you have to understand is PSA Graded cards are the
    standard of the INDUSTRY. PSA 9 is MINT and PSA 10
    is GEM MINT.

I would say only SGC and to some degree GAI cards
    are the other legit grading services.

Now ACCUGRADE, there's a good one...
    others like to call em "INACCUGRADE".
    Buccaneer
    NO NO NO.....What I am saying is some stars in PSA 9, I'm see sell for much much less than they were a couple
    years ago and my observation of Kaline cards is just for Kaline cards. Where a 1972 Topps is one of
    the more if not THEE most common Kaline in PSA 9 is selling for waaaaay more than it was 2 years
    ago. I also think there are many cards even in PSA 10 that you can buy much cheaper.
    A good example is I just bought a 1968 #480 Managers Dream (Clemente, Oliva, et al) in PSA 10
    around $900. This card was probably $2000 a couple of years ago.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no question that many star cards in higher grades (PSA 9 & PSA 10) have come down in the last 1-2 years, due to higher pops. There are certainly some exceptions to that, but it's almost academic that certain cards will come down in value as they become less scarce in the relative grade.

Also, the spike in value for many cards is due to aggressive set builders or registry guys. There are definitely some years that are hotter than usual at any given point in time. The key (for aseller) is to capitalize when the iron is hot, and the bidding fenzy gets in the better way of prudent judgement.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • 1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Was Al Kaline ever "HOT"? Not in my lifetime . . . image
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Tony I assume the cards you are talking about were PQ? It has always been that way. PQ (or hi end) for the grade cards almost always command better prices.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • winpitcher

I understand the PQ stuff as well.....But even PQ cards shouldn't command 3X to 4X value!?

Believe me, I follow Kaline cards EVERY SINGLE DAY on here and I know what they bring.
    These cards are just stupid in some cases. Would I pay premium money for a fresh PSA 9
    that is above average? YOU BET (Minnesota expression!) ! But 3X to 4X? NO! 2X? Maybe!

What I was trying to find out is, has ANYONE ELSE in their quest for their favorite player,
    noticed the same thing that I have noticed about rising prices for THEIR player?

Everyone is trying to explain the market to me and I already understand all that stuff.
    I was simply asking if anyone else noticed this trend with either their favorite player
    or favorite set, when I am seeing IN GENERAL prices are lower for 50's and 60's stuff?

1960toppsguy--Well, to heck with you MR POOPY PANTS!
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Have you noticed whether the big prices all went to the same 2 or 3 people? It's possible that a few more collectors have started going after high end Kailine-Tigers cards.

Lee
  • This one finished rather strong...

63 Kaline PSA 9
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • I don't know much about 50's and 60's cards, but in the T206 market (which is where I am), the higher grade cards are definitely at a premium. Like it was stated on this thread, I think it's the guys at the top of the list that are trying to compete their registry sets. Right now it seems mid to low grade cards are a little bit on the decline...at least over the last 2 or 3 months.
  • CDsNuts
    It is usually different people, but, not always.

Kurtman9
    That one makes a good point!

While I agree the 63 is tougher in Mint 9, but $6,000+?! Does it make sense
    to anyone else? What would a 10 be worth then, if a 9 is worth $6,000 ?