Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does this WLH have a shot at an ms66?

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
The area to the right of Liberty is a shadow caused by the frostiness of the coin.

image

image
"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

  • Options
    I say no due to the rub on the high points.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

    image
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

    The reverse looks really good.

    The obverse looks to have some chatter on the
    leg, some weakness in the left hand, and is that
    a ding on the sun??

    ~


    "America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't my area,but I say the obv. looks a little weak in the hand and skirt area and the rev. would probably meet the requirements.Assuming there are no unseen problems.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No ding on the 'sun'. It's a shadow.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

    "“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

    "I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it will make 65 with the hits on the skirt lines over the left leg...........Reverse looks sweet...........Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

    EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many hits on the middle of the skirt for a 66. Probably a 64.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many hits on the middle of the skirt for a 66. Probably a 64.

    image
  • Options
    Typical S-mint weak strike. Looks like a 65 to me, but I'd also say it's got a shot at a 66...
    image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is an attractive coin. Looks like it has nice lustre, decent strike for the date and the reverse looks terrific. My concern is one of the focal points, the skirt, from the knee down looks to fall short of 66. Could be the image... it is still a very nice coin. Calling the difference between 65 and 66 from an image is very difficult because it really is the coin that we are grading and not the image. Hope that makes sense

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720 ✭
    I used to collect and submit quite a few of these.

    I'd say there is almost no chance of this ever getting a 66, at least not from a reputable TPG, that is.

    PCGS is particularly tough on these, there are so many small devices and they are really fragile in that sense.

    I've got several with a stronger and cleaner obverse sitting in 63 and 64 slabs.

    The reverse is outstanding, but the obverse is going to keep it to a 63, 64 on a really lucky day......... maybe, probably not though.

    They are a tad easier on them across the street, but not much and the value becomes much less. If I'm going to submit a WLH, it's only going to PCGS and only if it's good enough. A grade of 63 really doesn't justify the cost of slabbing it. OTOH, it's your coin and it's a nice one, so you may want to go for it anyway. Just don't expect anything more than 64 and don't be surprised if it comes back 63.

    I once submitted 6 of these at the same time and was absolutely sure they were all 65 and better. I was warned by a local dealer that I trust just how tough they can be on these, but I went ahead anyway. I got a pair of 64s and the rest at 63. The best I've ever submitted raw came back a 66, but only after the second try. I thought it was so outstanding that it was a lock for 67. I've learned my lesson on submitting these and just how tough it can be.

    Good luck, but unless standards have changed dramatically, I think you're looking at a 63 based on these pictures. It's quite typical of the S mint strikes, though I will say the reverse is dramatic. Unfortunately they don't grade them with an average between the obverse and reverse.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image



















    I doubt itimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file