Home Metal Detecting

Double Silver today!

Passed a small park (has a WW1 memorial in it) today nearby while running some errands, noticed they were laying new curbing along one side and widening the street nearby- which meant they had dug up some topsoil. Nothing new they had been working the whole street all spring long- but this time they left the dirt piles behind at the end of the day- every other time I passed they had loaded it all up and hauled the stuff away. Only problem tonight- I didn't have my detector with me, so...I huried home and ate a quick supper grabbed the detector and got out for a couple of hours, nice night even. First target I dug was a double- a 1929 wheatie and then a 1928 Canadian cent- prospects were looking good. And then nothing for about an hour as I worked the piles over, until a strong signal about midway down the park- silver! -picture below:

imageimage

A 1906 Edward 7th- first Canadian silver quarter for me! By now I figured there had to be more, and not to long afterwards got a 1944 Merc, nice to see the shiny stuff popping out of the ground again- its been a couple months for me finding any I believe (in the ground anyways). Not much else exciting for the night- except maybe the small button- at first I thought maybe a 3 cent silver, then I saw the holes. It does look old and kinda crudely cast, then painted somewhat green over a silve plate it looks like. Group shot of the whole lot:

Oh, and when I got home and checked the Grey book on Canadian coins my eyes nearly popped out for a moment- 1906 quarter only 35 known value in VG $3,000! ... then I looked further down the page- that was for the small crown variety. Something tells me I have the large crown- 230,000 minted (still kinda low- but for a Canadian quarter of the era not that low).

Comments

• Nice silver finds! I bet you will be watching that park closely.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Great finds! I'm hoping I can get lucky this weekend, if I can get out.
  • dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    --- large crown- 230,000 minted ---

My book says that there were 1,237,843 minted including the Small Crown quarters.

I've compared the 2 pictures and it does look like this is a Large Crown version.

Still a great find though!
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Nice work Kevin!

Old Edward looks a little hung over. image
    Great find though!

WTG!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage