Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

legit? Mantle PSA 5 on ebay

The seller may be legit she said I could pick up in person.
USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.

Comments

• Options
    Fixed Link

0 feedback seller selling a multiple thousand card on ebay? I'd have to say red flag.
  • Options
    colebearcolebear Posts: 886 ✭✭
    they allow a personal pick up, that is a good sign, still questionable
  • Options
    Other Auction

Another auction, another high end card?

Very questionable if you ask me.
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    RUN FAR AWAY
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    dead husband's card. nothing more legit than that!
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    Very questionable when people say they are selling stuff to pay medical bills. Cards sell themselves, if they are good they will be bought for a good price. I can't see anybody starting out selling these cards.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they
    wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're
    going to feel all day. "
    ~Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Does the number add up? I may buy this to flip.
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    brianligonbrianligon Posts: 45 ✭✭
    The scans of the Mantle card look too good to be true, like they were done by a major auction house. Each scan is almost perfect, with rounding on each corner of the PSA case. Most amateur scans are not as neat and clean, and usually have a sharp right angle at each corner of the PSA case. Maybe a cut and paste job??
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    I thought so too-my interest in this is strickly to flip. no way I would trust paypal. I axed if I could pick up in person and was told yes.....I plan on meeting in a public place and I can always rip the bank cheque in half. Drumk
  • Options
    OverratedOverrated Posts: 454 ✭✭
    Looks like total scam! how dare people act like they dont know about the most famous card ever! 0 feedback what a clown, pay with monopoly money.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love these zero feedbackers selling Mantle rookies! Good country, America!

Edit; The late husband's medical bills--priceless!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ZixxZixx Posts: 228 ✭✭
    Read the item's description . . .

Even women know how to use commas

keep running image
  • Options
    Stolen Scan:

Real Mantle PSA 5

Please help report this
    Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • Options
    JohnnyDJohnnyD Posts: 520 ✭✭
    It looks like that card was sold by Leland's in 2006....just playing devil's advocate here, but could her husband be the one who bought it last year? I am still real leery, but allowing you to pick the card up in person could be a good sign, she could have just as easily said she was not comfortable meeting a stranger in person. Still I don't think I would take the chance....
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    I just sent the seller a question asking her how long her husband had the card. I will advise on the response, if any!!
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    sounds like a movie script....buyer with deep pockets travels across country to meet strange "women" seller in private residential location....what happens next is up to the imagination....PSA, CSI, or XXX.......
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stolen Scan:

Real Mantle PSA 5

Please help report this >>

Outstanding detective work!

The odds that it was "her" husband who bought this card? ZERO
  • Options
    Seller response to the question of how long her late husband has had the card...........

"not sure how long"

Good luck all of you bidders....image
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I would buy it and send cash.
  • Options

<< <i>I would buy it and send cash. >>

Don't forget the tip, maybe an extra $50.
  • Options
    Yea, cash is the only way to go on this transaction....
  • Options
    This Listing Is Unavailable

This listing (180134309298) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.
    If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled. Note: Listings that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on eBay.

• Options
    I had reported this to eBay and given them the link of the Leland auction. I'm sure this scammer will be back soon...

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • Options
    I'm amazed at how astute you guys are of figuring these cons out. Good show!
  • Options
    But see the basic problem is this POS scammer still needs to be prosecuted, fined and possibly serve some prison time - that's one way this scamming is going to stop. This was attempted fraud this wannabe thief tried to perpetrate - plain & simple.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since he did not take paypal, he would have to give out a mailing address (probably a PO). He would have to get his MO somehow and you could have the PO staked out by the police. Is there a $ limit when the feds would get involved for wire fraud? I sure you could make sure the bid went over this amount.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Hey, guys

Looks like the seller is back at it again. Since he refused to back down from the first time, could it possibly be true the auction is for real?! Check out the current bid :-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-TOPPS-MICKEY-MANTLE-PSA5_W0QQitemZ180139233237QQihZ008QQcategoryZ55917QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • Options
  • Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Well it's currently over $81,000,Looks like a few people are having some fun with this one.
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    i had contacted them about a day after they listed it saying that they copied and pasted the lelands auction pics. of course they didnt response.
  • Options

<< <i>The seller may be legit she said I could pick up in person. >>

I would go armed.
  • Options
    That card is currently sitting in someone's set on the registry.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    This seller is gunning for NARU

• Options
    Auction over! The Mick, once again, sets a new record! A cool $81,200 for a PSA 5! I was intensely watching the auction in its final moments and was hoping for a snipe :-) Oh, well... maybe in a few days?

On a serious note, I actually reported the auction to eBay THREE times but it was not pulled. Are they that gullible or were they more concerned about collecting the seller's fee?
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    they would rather collect the seller and final value fees-they keep something like this one and end someones 99cent auction instead!

randy

rubesmilitariaandsportcards.com