Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ever buy a coin as a goof?

guess why I bought this one ?!

Comments

• Options
    SciotoScioto Posts: 955
    they named a coin after you? or to mark your birth year? image
    GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    DOH! not close to me in age, but I love seeing my name on a coin image
    I bought three versions of Franks image god bless the belgians.. (I think that's the country)
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Yep - Belgium coin with Dutch legends. It would be Franc if the coin had French legends. image

I still remember when someone years ago posted in the eBay coin chat room about a stupid eBay seller who couldn't spell Franc correctly. Most of the regular posters there agreed and echoed his comments until one of the regulars (a long-time dealer) pointed out that while it might be fun bashing eBay sellers in this case the seller had spelled it correctly since the coin was Belgium.

Edited to add: The coin has edge lettering which is added post striking much like the Presidental Dollars. The lettering can appear both "Upside down" and "Rightside up", referred to as Pos A and Pos B and are collected as such. PCGS catagorizes the edge lettering on the Presidental Dollars using the same convention as these coins.

I only have the French legend version of this coin - in both Pos A and Pos B edge lettering.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep - Belgium coin with Dutch legends. It would be Franc if the coin had French legends. image

I still remember when someone years ago posted in the eBay coin chat room about a stupid eBay seller who couldn't spell Franc correctly. Most of the regular posters there agreed and echoed his comments until one of the regulars (a long-time dealer) pointed out that while it might be fun bashing eBay sellers in this case the seller had spelled it correctly since the coin was Belgium.

Edited to add: The coin has edge lettering which is added post striking much like the Presidental Dollars. The lettering can appear both "Upside down" and "Rightside up", referred to as Pos A and Pos B and are collected as such. PCGS catagorizes the edge lettering on the Presidental Dollars using the same convention as these coins.

I only have the French legend version of this coin - in both Pos A and Pos B edge lettering. >>

cool ! yep, my coin has letter with oriented to the 'face' of the coin.... IE the top of the letters is closest to the 'face. is that Pos A ?
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    That would be Pos B - the letters are upright when the obverse side is up. Pos A is when the letters are upright with the reverse up.

It always has struck me as being counter-intuitive.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm