Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What's so historic about Sosa's #601 baseball?

eBay: Sosa #601 baseball

"...such an important piece of baseball history should be in the hands of a collector..."

Important ?!

Comments

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I think it's pretty cool, and a big Sosa fan would love to add it to his collection, I'm sure.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    because he wants some fool to pay a lot for the ball he has. and he caught it so it makes it rare right?
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    1000 may be a little high for it, but I bet it will sell off ebay for 500 to 600.00
  • Options
    ebayaddictebayaddict Posts: 232 ✭✭
    Sosa doesn't want it???????????????? Sounds fishy to me.......................
    "You must understand the difference in things that are similar, and the similarity of things that are different"

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sosa doesn't want it???????????????? Sounds fishy to me....................... >>

Either a) it's not real or b) Sosa doesn't want it for the "price" this seller wants. Days of simply giving HR balls back to ballplayers simply don't exist any longer.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I'm just glad it appears to be a real game ball. I hate seeing historic home run baseballs without the umpires mud rubbed on.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Days of simply giving HR balls back to ballplayers simply don't exist any longer.

Days of the ballplayers giving to the fans does not exist any longer also. Yes there are a few exceptions but the majority of them could care less about the baseball fans. We pay their huge salaries and they deny an 8 year old an autograph.

Baseball made enough money from us, why can't we get a little of it back. Besides, what is $1,000.00 to Sosa anyway with the money he has made over the years.

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont see anything historic or special about the ball, but thats just me.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I believe that particular ball was juicedimage
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Don't know why he's using a snipr link but here's the direct link -> Click Me
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Don't know why he's using a snipr link...

I use Snipr because it's easier to remember than the full eBay link, just in case I might want to reference the link elsewhere. Also, Snipr shows me how many times a link has been clicked.
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    I see cork on that ball it must have come off of Sosa's bat.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I think it's cool and that it appears legiate. Wonder how much he wants?

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, Snipr shows me how many times a link has been clicked. >>

If it's not your auction and you aren't making any commission on redirects, why would you want to know?

Auction Link
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not provide a pic of his son in the auction. Im not sure if its real.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I know there were authenicators there. There should be more than what hes offering other than his own word about it.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    From the auction text:

"After a few days of treasuring the item he [my son] has decided that such an important piece of baseball history should be in the hands of a collector or at least a bigger Sosa fan than himself."

I'm sure true fan loyalty was the single motivating factor for unselfishly relocating this ball to the proper person (with a $1,000 opening bid). image
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And I know there were authenicators there. There should be more than what hes offering other than his own word about it. >>

Agreed. I'd like to think there would've been some sort of newspaper article, video clip, pictures, something. Then again, not everyone thinks about the importance of providing as much authentication as possible. One of the players I collect is Sosa but I wouldn't consider buying it solely on what they've provided. FWIW a GU bat used for a HR by Sammy is selling pretty good right now. Maybe there's some hope for people with Sosa memorabilia to sell. I've got a couple of things here and there but can't decide if I really want to ever sell them or not.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    If the game was taped, he should simply cut out the clip of his son catching the ball, and then post a picture of his son with the ball. #601 is significant because only 4 players have done it, and it's likely among the last homeruns Sosa will ever hit. The ball could also be authenticated by MLB, and I wouldn't touch it if it wasn't.