Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1958 Philippine mint and proof set questions

What is normal for the 1958 mint set listed as MS3 in the Krause catalog, a card like in these pictures with "uncirculated" stamped over the printed "proof coins", one like in the last picture with "1958 issues" printed on it, both, neither? Also, were there proof versions of these minted? There is a proof set for 1958 (PS6) listed in the Krause, but no mintage figure or values. Thanks.

imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Spiny - Of course I don't have an answer to your question but don't know why Just having Fun or one of the other Philippine experts have missed this.
    Hope all is still well with you and if you get over to this side of the state let me know.

Shep
  • Options
    Hi John. I'm going to start working the St. Maries to Moscow area in about a month. Maybe we can meet up in CDA for dinner some night. I haven't bought many new coins since that show, though, so you'll have to provide the entertainment. image
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Hi Old Shep! I didn't pick up on this because I was sick and the younger I get, the longer it takes me to mend and get well. Then, as soon as I did get better I had to travel to Hong Kong (biz), and while here, have been working my duff off.

And Hello Spiny Norman: I'd hardly call myself an expert on the modern Philippine coins, i.e., the post World War II mintages. But, generally speaking, to evaluate these sort of sets, look at the low denomination coins. The big denomination coins are usually silver and wear reasonably well. The lower denominations are aluminum, copper, and bronze, and spot, corrode, and turn ugly really easy. So the value in these sets lies in the lower denominations. If you find a set where those are gem, gobble it up.

Warm regards from Hong Kong. Speaking of which. I'm just back from shepherding a friend through the Night Market (nee Thieve's Market). I must have seen 5,000 coins there, and I didn't think one was real. And then I saw a Solingen steel set of nail clippers -- made in Rome. image

I hope you guyz are having as much fun as me ...

Just Having Fun
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no knowledge of any proof sets from 1958.

Many times mint sets from smaller countries are not issued by the mint
    but by a central bank (like the federal reserve) or by a quasi-governmental
    or even private organization. The existence of mint sets at all from before
    the mid-'70's is a little atypical. There is a strong tendency for quality of
    mint set coins to be superior to other coins even when they are assembled
    outside the mint. Apparently pains are usually taken to get good produc-
    tion from new dies for these sets.

There isn't much in modern Phillipines that I think of as scarce. Of course,
    it's easy to be fooled when there is almost no demand for coins they'll pile
    up in dealers' stock and appear to be quite common even when not. The
    '58 issues come very nice for the main part but most probably are busted
    from these sets.

It's very difficult to gauge demand for moderns since one doesn't see trade
    occurring in them. My guess is that these really are as common as Krause
    implies with the low prices. In a few more years of a strong economy over
    there, we'll probably know for sure since the demand will pop up.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    SpinynormanSpinynorman Posts: 603 ✭✭
    Thanks for the responses. I just revisited a similar question I asked a couple years ago and unfortunately was reminded that at that time JHF had replied that he never seen any but the 1970 Pope set. The single coin (cn) version of the 1970 commemorative is still available from the BSP, btw, but not the two coin (cn and silver) version.

So, I'm still looking for any information about the original packaging of the following sets:

MS1 1936 3 coin, Commenwealth commems
    MS2 1947 2 coin, MacArthur Peso and 50c
    MS3 1958 5 coin, regular circulation coins and the proof versions listed as PS6 (do they actaully exist?)
    MS4 1970 2 coin, Pope visit commems. KM202 (cn) and KM202a (silver)

Anyone know who to contact at Krause that I might ask about this? The "contact us" on their website is a broken link
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This won't be any help but I found the coins from what was most probably
    an original set while going through my moderns. All the coins are really good
    quality with light toning except the one centavo coin is missing. I find a lot of
    sets like this stapled together and they often have some fragment of the orig-
    inal packaging attached. These don't.
    Tempus fugit.