Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1971-S IKE DDR

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
Picked this up today!

The spread on the stars on the reverse is the largest I've ever seen.
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    I do not usually collect proof coins, so I have not spent much time checking out the 1971 S Proof Ike's, BUT, that is a LOT of spread!!

Cool coin!

Is it listed in the Ike book's?
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
  • Options
    Way cool - love them stars!!
  • Options
    Lee! I think that Ike just gave me astigmatism!! Nice p/u!! Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    Awesome!!!!

Best doubled stars I've ever seen on an Ike! When I was really into Proof Silver Ikes.....I sent a strange doubled die to
    Brian Allen to help identify it for me. He forwarded it to Wexler and Wexler gave it a new designation, a 1973-S Silver
    Proof DDR-006 and included it in his files. I took the letter from Wexler and got NGC to slab it as a "Discovery Piece".
    I'd try a similar route for this piece.....It looks pretty special!

Happy Hunting!
    Brian

I Love image FEP, Variety & Error Ikes! image
  • Options
    Since I do not have my Reference book with me, I have no idea if this is documented yet. When I get home, I'll see if I can find it and then move in that direction.

I am severly loupe challenged and have shot myself in the foot on more than one occasion but when I saw those stars, I just knew that this was something special.

Under the microscope, the doubling is simply amazing!

I especially like the doubled dot in the front and back of UNUM.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Cool!
    Maybe DDR-005? That's the only DDR Coneca describes as a "strong spread".
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

nice pick

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    1971-S PR-3-R-II-C or AKA 1971-S DDR-3
  • Options
    Actually, I was thinking DDR-005 myself.

Designation: PR-5-R-V-CCW from K-7

Description: Strong spread on UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, E PLURIBUS UNUM, stars around the rim, designer's initials, and AR of DOLLAR

Grade: PR65

Population: 2

Markers: Silver Proof

Reverse is RDV-002

Stage A: Reverse is EDS

Obverse is ODV-006 (Peg Leg R) – EDS

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Very Nice DDR!!!
  • Options
    Interesting.

The latest online Coin World lists this coin as a "new" discovery as of 6/20/2011.

CONECA has had it listed as DDR-005 since at least the authoring of this thread.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting.

The latest online Coin World lists this coin as a "new" discovery as of 6/20/2011.

CONECA has had it listed as DDR-005 since at least the authoring of this thread. >>

By New Discovery, they clearly mean that it is new to them. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Interesting.

CONECA has had it listed as DDR-005 since at least the authoring of this thread. >>

By New Discovery, they clearly mean that it is new to them. image >>

I would agree but only up to the part where it states “The Combined Organizations of Numismatic Error Collectors of America now lists this one in its files as DDR-005 ( 5 – R - V )" since the listing has been around since at least June of 2007.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Missed this one last time around... is this paired with the serif-R or peg leg R obverse?
  • Options

<< <i>Missed this one last time around... is this paired with the serif-R or peg leg R obverse? >>

PegLeg R

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file