Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

source for wren farthings?

Does anyone know of any good sources for British "wren" farthings, either raw or certified? I don't see many of these around except on ebay. In particular I am looking for uncirculated.

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Colin Cooke Coins

First rate source for English coins - especially farthings!
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options

<< <i>Colin Cooke Coins

First rate source for English coins - especially farthings! >>

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Check your local shows. The dealers I know usually have lots of them.
  • Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    Which years are you looking for and what grade?
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I have some raw ones in various grades that I'd be willing to sell. If you PM me with the dates that you are lacking I'll take a look.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, I think that these coins have not really been critically examined and that there may be some dates that are scarce in mint red, not to mention the special off year VIP proofs & mattes. Beautiful and simple design that these have. I think that those crazy First Spouse US gold bits could take inspiration from these, along with many other Lightside moderns....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You know, I think that these coins have not really been critically examined and that there may be some dates that are scarce in mint red, not to mention the special off year VIP proofs & mattes. Beautiful and simple design that these have. I think that those crazy First Spouse US gold bits could take inspiration from these, along with many other Lightside moderns.... >>

Well stated and I could not agree more.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Thank you all for the info. It looks like Colin Cooke has a pretty good selection of these, I never thought to look outside the US for buying coins. I guess that is the logical starting point for non-US issues.

I have been interested in wren farthings since I was a kid looking at my grandfather's collection. Recently he started breaking up his collection and I have been fortunate enough to get some of his stuff, both as gifts and in exchange for $. The wren's went to my sister though, so "she can't say I never gave her anything" image Most were brown circ and a few were red-brown unc.

So now I am considering putting a set together for myself. Currently I have none, and haven't been to any shows since I decided to put a set together. I'm not sure if I want to go red BU or some lower grade, it will just depend on price, availability, and what pleases my eyes.

Can any of you recommend a good book or website for getting more info on these?

Cheers
  • Options

<< <i>Can any of you recommend a good book or website for getting more info on these?

Cheers >>

An informative website for farthings.... AboutFarthings.co.uk

Colin Cooke is probably the premier site for farthings though........ Although Colin himself is no longer with us, his collection is pictured on site via the auction.... The staff is still the same and is still top-notch

http://www.colincooke.com/
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    amiller PM me your address and I'll send you a full set of wren farthings (16 total) for free. 2 or 3 of them have got small spots of verdigris probably due to the folder they have been stored in so I would remove all of them and store them in something else (also don't keep coins with verdigris next to other coins as it may spread). It'll be a good start for you and you can allways upgrade them later. They have little wear mostly VF-EF British standards (some better).
    I no longer have much use for them my collecting interests has changed.
    Regards,
    Hus
  • Options

<< <i>amiller PM me your address and I'll send you a full set of wren farthings (16 total) for free. 2 or 3 of them have got small spots of verdigris probably due to the folder they have been stored in so I would remove all of them and store them in something else (also don't keep coins with verdigris next to other coins as it may spread). It'll be a good start for you and you can allways upgrade them later. They have little wear mostly VF-EF British standards (some better).
    I no longer have much use for them my collecting interests has changed.
    Regards,
    Hus >>

Very Generous Offer......