Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Does anyone send in complete sets just to be on the registery to be #1

Does anyone here send in complete sets just to be #1 on the registry? Even though your the only one in that set?
I was thinking about submitting a few low sets, sets that are made up of less than 20 cards. But as I think about it,
It wouldn't be worth it to me to overpay for the grading when the entire set is worth $5 bucks. Do you guys still get
them graded anyways just to be in the set registry?

Jery

Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!

Comments

• Options
    I think the fact that nobody else has already submitted their set to take the #1 position should answer your question. While I suspect there are a few people out there who cherish the certificates I doubt too many will pay significantly to get them.
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nope. Not me, I have though sent in a full set to be graded. It came in 4th place out of 5 sets. It is though only the 2nd set to be completed.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I do!!! It just so happens that one of my favorite subsets had never been graded as a whole. It is 15 cards but worth a little more than $5 due to being limited to 250 cardsimage
    I now have the top 3 sets. Once I finish the 3rd set, I am through with it. I will still have plenty left ungraded but they will stay that way. I am planning on cornering the marketimage
    #1 2000 Blue Xceptional Set(and #2 and #3, it's a sickness)
    1933 Giants
  • Options
    I put in a registry request for a small, short-printed autograph set and PSA allowed it. Most of the set sells for at least $20 on feebay and since I'm close to having a complete set, (mostly raw) I may as well get them graded and perhaps stir up some interest.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I did a small one--1986 STAR CAREW
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I was just thinking about grading my 1988 donruss set. No
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    There are a couple of smaller sets that I have submitted, in full, because I collect the set. Although I happen to be #1 on the Registry is somewhat incidental. I would rather there be more collectors of some of these obscure Phillies sets to join the Registry with me and have fun...

m
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I think if you look at a summary of the top spots ( like on the Nearmint Olympics pages) you will see that is not that uncommon. Many of the sets have one of two listings and one of them is at 100% but a lower GPA. MOSH fended his position in FB in the early days with this strategy. I have been known to do this as well. Not cheap sets per se where the $ does not support it but more on insert sets and relatively obscure vintage issues. It does not seem to stir up much interest though. For me it is Nearmint Olympic glory followed by harrassment of Dav, Shoulda and MOSH and the certificate if it happens is OK too.
    Gotta be a nice set though because who wants a cert for a set that no one wants? Still some cool sets where this strategy would work like 62 BB Bucks.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    I have submitted small sets as they were part of a larger set. Meaning I sent the 11 card 1991 Star griffey set as i wanted all the Sr. cards for his master set.

Slightly Disgruntled Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i thought about sending in the 1986 fleer update sticker set lol,whole thing prob worth 50 cents,cost too much to grade em, i dont have that big of a desire to have a # 1 just for the certificate,im having fun enuff with my 50 bowman football set at #11 and my new psa/dna footballset #39 lol-going to be a while to get many of these,have 14,only 7 on right now,in a year of putting the 50 bowman together,ive only saw a handfull of autographed ones
  • Options
    There is no fun being number one out of one. You still are in last place.