Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Do you send in complete sets to be graded???

Does anyone here send in complete sets just to be #1 on the registry? Even though your the only one in that set?
I was thinking about submitting a few low sets, sets that are made up of less than 20 cards. But as I think about it,
It wouldn't be worth it to me to overpay for the grading when the entire set is worth $5 bucks. Do you guys still get
them graded anyways just to be in the set registry?

Jery
Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!

Comments

• The Registry is a fun way to organize, track, and show off my collection, but I really don't care if I'm 1st or 500th in a particular set. I only grade cards that are truly worth grading, not for the Registry image

Take it easy,
    Jared
    "You consider me the young apprentice,
    Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes,
    Hypnotized by you if I should linger,
    Staring at the ring around your finger" - Sting

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.
  • I have sent in some complete sets to PSA, where I was the only one collecting that set and it put me at #1. I generally only do this for sets that are valued quite a bit over what the grading would cost, or where I felt that the condition of my cards far exceeded the average condition a collector might find (and therefore the PSA grading would really show off the quality of my set).

I like my cards slabbed, especially in cases where the cards are easily damaged if handled. But I don't think I would send in low-value sets just to be #1 on the registry for a set... it's much more worthwhile to go after sets you really like, and where grading is worthwile, and then if you end up #1 it's an accomplishment!

Paul H.
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    www.vintagestarwarscards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
    transparentpunk@hotmail.com
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I recently sent in an almost complete Gomer Pyle set for grading. I pulled out the ones that were dramatically OC and sent in the rest. My reasoning was that if the cards graded out fine I'd keep the set, which I did decide to do......sometimes my decisions on sets depends on how what I have intially grades out and then I try to get the rest at shows or elsewhere.
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I just sent in 500+ Garbage Pail Kids for grading including 2 complete sets of Series 4. I'm gonna take a shot at selling them as complete sets but I'll see how that goes. I don't think anyone has done that before with later series so I guess I'll be the first. I'm sure it will be the #1 Registered set so hopefully I find a good buyer.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I send in complete sets for grading but not to be number 1 in a registry. I have a set that i am about to send in that has a shot at being number 1 but that is not the reason for sending it in.
    I like idea of having the set encapsulated and graded, where it lands on the reg is of no concern.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i love the looks of the mars attack set, and some of the war ones that i cant remember the names of now, horros of war maybe?, anything from the50's and 60's have great rustic painting quality about them, little painting all of their own,i havt looked at non sport cards for a while, but the last set i can remeber to remotly coming close to the quality of these old set were the dinasaurs attack ones,and i dont even remember when they were put out,early 90's or late 80's?
    congats on a killer set, i used to have a ton of these when i was a kid,one of my friends grandfathers had a old mom and pop grocery store,and we used to steal all the cards lol,wish i still had em, be in some jingle now!
    take care
    randy