Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

#1 PCGS Complete Lincoln Set going to Auction

Hello All,

I just wanted to let everyone know that might be interested that after many long discussions with my good friend Andy Skrabalak of Angel Dee's, I have decided to sell my Lincoln Registry Set. The set is listed under the name "Close to Perfect", and is currently #1 in the PCGS Complete Lincoln Set category.

I started the set about 10 years ago, never dreaming it would lead to a set containing 342 coins! The journey has been wonderful, meeting many great friends along the way in search of all these "pennies". However, the set has reached a point where I can't advance it much further, and some changes in our lives (for the better) have forced my wife and I to decide selling the set would be the best for us at this point.

After considering many different options for selling, we have decided to sell the set at the Pre-ANA Bowers and Merena auction, to be held the weekend of August 4-5 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Please contact Bowers and Merena for more info, and feel free to contact Andy at Angel Dee's for detailed info about about any individual coin. For those who don't know Andy, his contact info is available on his website, angeldees.com. A good portion of this set was purchased through Andy, and he reviewed the entire set just a few weeks ago, and he will be happy to give you his thoughts about any coin.

This has been a difficult decision to decide to part with this set. I hope all these wonderful Lincolns find great new homes, and their new owners find as much joy studying and spending time with them as I have. I hope to see everyone soon at a coin show down the road. Although the Lincolns will be gone, I'll never leave the fun of collecting coins. I'm sure another set of some type will start soon!

Best Regards,

Dan Close

Comments

• Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Even though our lincoln sets hardly compare to one another...I really know how you feel out "gettin' out" of lincolns. It is sort of a bittersweet feeling parting with your coins, huh? image

Your collection is simply amazing Dan. You did a great job imaging your coins as well. I really respect the fact that you opened your TOP set for everyone to see (unlike some around here) AND you took the time to image your coins. It will be a blast to see what these coins bring...I'm sure they will shatter records set in the past!

Best of luck Dan...and keep in touch!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Wow, it is tough to see another great set broken up. I always dream of having a great set and either handing it down or leaving instructions for proper sale when I die. Unfortunately I have also done this so I know what you are going through.
  • Options
    That is an amazing set. Good luck wherever the future takes you.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Start saving up boys......image

Very nice coins
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new Roosies simply took too much out of Dan! LOL.

All kidding aside, good luck Dan with the sale.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I know the same feeling. I let a 1875 proof set sale at Heritage auction about 4 years ago and never thought about registering it. image It would have been #1. I do have an 1876 proof set listed now in the #1 spot and want to put up for auction, but can't hardly let it out of my hands. Anyway you have an awsome set and I would document every coin (pictures, prices, etc.) I would even wait until 2009 to make sure you have all Lincolns before they reitre the series, because I don't think anybody would come close to topping this set. Wow, I keep my eye on this B&M auction when it comes up. image
  • Options
    Have you even considered putting a price on the set as a whole? Curiosty (and nothing more) requires that I ask.....
  • Options

Yes, I'm still around and still slowly plugging away at building my set. I will definitely be in Milwaukee as it is only a 4 hour drive from home. I look forward to the sale.

Jack

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Jeeezzzz
    Dan
  • Options
    Hi Dan,
    Needless to say, but what a remarkable set. I, as Toby already has, wish to thank you for opening your
    set so all of us could enjoy it. I really couldn't estimate how many times I have viewed this set. I have also enjoyed the images you just started adding. They were also top notch, as I suspected they would be.
    Good luck with your sale. I could upgrade my set with numerous coins from your set, but I would be
    honored to acquire just one. Once again, I can say, a great era is ending and, just maybe, a new one shall begin.

imageimageimage

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    My warmest wishes for the best possible results Dan. You are a class act & one of the nicest guys I've come accross in the "penny game". image
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gee Dan, I went from being envious of you to being sad for you. But you are right, these coins will just bounce around and I am sure you can arrange for visitation rights!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan, good luck with the sale! I know it was tough decision.

Regards,

Doug
    Doug
  • Options
    Wow. I wish you the best of luck. It truly is an awesome set. Hopefully I can afford to buy a few of them.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    "Amazing Set"!! Wish you well and I'll be watchingimage
  • Options
    Congratulations. Andy does a terrific job of helping collectors put together some unbelievable sets. He was instrumental in putting together a Bffalo nickel set for a good friend over the past 4 years. Most of the set was sold thru Bowers last November. Some amazing prices were recieved. Andy will be at the Palm Beach show in July if anyone interested in the set is attending.
    Al @ Palm Beach Coins

Palm Beach Coins Website
  • Options
    Any upgrades in there for Stewart?
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Stunning set, that is a huge accomplishment.
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    Wow! An amazing set!
    I too thank you for opening the set up and having photos of all the coins...it looks really niceimage

Best of Luck with the sale and for things to comeimage
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Dan,
    You truly have a world class complete set of Lincoln cents. I'm sorry you have chosen to sell at this time, but your accomplishment is great. I also appreciate that you chose to open your registry for all to see. Thanks.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    rabbitracksrabbitracks Posts: 538 ✭✭
    Dan, GREAT SET you have there. Hope you stay in the coin collecting mode if not have FUN in whatever you decide to do with all that you aquire from that fabulous set. Thanks as well for opening your set for all of us registry participants to veiw, and for taking the time to post pictures of your set as well. It is a very tough task to post all of those pictures. Congratulations on having THE # 1 set in the Lincoln Series. Stewart could take a hint, MODERNS due count. Maybe he could pick up a few of your moderns to improve his and post his in the COMPLETE set series and open it as well for our veiwing pleasure. Good Luck with your sale through the B&M auction. Mike.
    Someday REAL American HERO's will be on our COINS.
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any upgrades in there for Stewart? >>

Maybe for his 3rd set of duplicates.

I wonder if the 1919 MS68 came from the infamous Blay roll that contained the MS69.
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if the 1919 MS68 came from the infamous Blay roll that contained the MS69. >>

If I remember correctly, that roll produced nearly all of the MS68's as well as the lone MS69.
  • Options
    What is really neat is that all 342 coins are being offered at the same time. It has to be the first time such a comprehensive offering has been made at auction.
    Doug
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Dan

Congratulations ! I was wondering if all your coins will be reserved ?

Stewart
  • Options
    dcgolferdcgolfer Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Many thanks to everyone for all the nice comments. Stewart, I can't imagine any coin in my set would be an improvement upon what you already have, unless it might be a coin of similar grade to what yours is, but slightly better within the grade. If that is the case, I would very much consider it an honor to have one or more of my coins make it into your set. That would be great.

Dan
  • Options
    I was wondering if all your coins will be reversed ? (with Stewarts) image
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on a spectacular set, Dan!

I loved my Lincolns too, and I remember how it felt to turn those babies over to the brutal world of auctions. I do wish you much luck and moon money, though!
  • Options
    Thanks David. I don't think you know that the 1917-S in 65RD and the 1925-S in 64RD both came from the auction of your set by Superior several years ago, if memory serves me correctly. There were several others that I purchased from that sale, but I remember those two without looking up the invoice, as they are still two of my favorites in my set. Thanks again.

Dan
  • Options
    I thought I heard that 25-s upgraded to 65rd? Didn't it sell for something like $8K? I remember placing a bid of like $3100 but wasn't close.
  • Options
    There are a couple that I am going to be bidding on for sure. I love some of the Proofs in this set!
    Doug
  • Options
    I was the buyer of that 1925-S, but I've never tried the upgrade game much. I did try the 25-S and a couple others once a few years ago, but it came back the same grade, and I decided not to pursue the crackout or upgrade game. I was offered $14K for the 25-S the day after the auction, but turned it down. It is a beauty.

Dan

PS. I've been told that Bowers will have the coins available for viewing online beginning tomorrow, with printed catalogues available shortly. One thing I'm sure those of you interested in Memorials will notice is I decided to offer the business strike Memorials, not including the varieties, as a complete set. This portion of the set is the closest to me, and at this time I really want to try to keep it together, so I've chosen to offer it as a whole. This part of my set has been #1 finest all-time on the PCGS Registry for four years now, and I think selling it as a whole set provides a unique opportunity for Lincoln Memorial collectors. I hope the buyer keeps it together, and continues to improve it into the future. I'd love to keep an eye on it.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One thing I'm sure those of you interested in Memorials will notice is I decided to offer the business strike Memorials, not including the varieties, as a complete set. >>

I was VERY disappointed to learn of this because I was hoping to pick up several individual coins from the set. Now this won't be possible as it is only being sold as a complete unit image

I would think that sold individually the set would bring a higher net return. These are alot of guys out here who cah afford a $1,000 - $2,000 coin, Not as many (myself included) who can afford $150,000 PLUS all at one time.

JMHO, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    lol...I like the idea of offering it whole...

If it doesn't sell, I guess you'll just have to keep it awhile longer....awwwww...image
  • Options
    I don't expect a big crowd with the auction being the Saturday before the ANA, but I will be at the auction and if anyone on these boards attends the auction, please come up and say hello.

Dan
  • Options

I was VERY disappointed to learn of this because I was hoping to pick up several individual coins from the set. Now this won't be possible as it is only being sold as a complete unit image

I must agree with GRANDAM. I wanted to pick up 1 or 2 coins from the Memorial set. image

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan,

Just wanted you to know that I'm not interested in picking up any of your Lincolns! WAY too kewl for MY ROOSIE BLOOD! image Those are some sweet coins though, and just a thought, what are going to do with those OTHER little discs you have?

Good luck with your auction.
    Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The set will bring far more if auctioned individually. I don't know if there is a person out there who wants to buy such a set intact...esp considering the large number of coins and no doubt well into 6 figures.

I hope the photos are well lit as B&M photos of recent vintage have been quite dark and of no use for internet bidders.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Well Dan, I'm sure you're thrilled with the results today. Good job, brother.
    Every man is a self made man.