Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

How has ebay been lately for everyone?

I figured I would ask this question to everyone but how has ebay been for you sellers lately? Is it just me or is it dead lately for selling? I have 300 cards up right now and nothing is moving. My last auction a couple weeks ago had crappy results also. Christmas time was rockin and now it seems dead. Just my imagination or is anyone else seeing similiar results. If so, maybe it's a good time for me to buy instead of sell.

Comments

• Options
    Ebay has been sucking lately for me also. Have very few of my auctions starting at 99 cents as it seems to be to much of a gamble right now. although when i use to have a store, sales were always slow and sluggish during the summer as everyone is outside enjoying the weather or on vacation.Always seemed to pick up 2 weeks before the kids went back to school and then steam rolled all the way through Christmas and and even a couple weeks of January. JMHO

Cash is the King right now. probally a good time to be buying.
  • Options
    I've noticed a lack of cards for the sets I collect. Seems even the sellers are on vacation.image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing out of the ordinary other than getting sniped for 50 cents here and there..
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Now that all my good stuff has been sold and I am forced to sell those cards that i could not move before it has slowed down. I guess it all depends on what you are trying to move.

Yes it has slowed down for me too.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I have been doing well with modern football rookies, which surprises me somewhat - given its not football season. But baseball and basketball cards have been slow, especially 70's graded baseball (unless it's a rookie or tough card).
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Selling has been very bad for me, not getting much movement out of my cards. Pretty much agree with Wabittwax.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    It's interesting the slow down on 70's material. I wonder if the price of unopened 70's material has far surpassed the value of the material once opened even graded. I would love to try and build a late 70s set from packs but it just doesn't seem logical money wise.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    In my limited experience, it's been a mixed bag. I've done really well on PSA-8, low-pop '72 Topps baseball commons, pretty good on '84 Donruss PSA-10 Superstars, and OK on mid-high grade 70's HOFers. Most of my graded cards have been going for at least 75% of SMR value, but some of the '72 commons have went for well over SMR. I did take a bath on a PSA-9 Fleer Mattingly rookie the other day... went for only $15.50image! The crappy thing about that was that 3 idiots put up identical cards within less than 4 hours after I put mine up, so we all ended up losing out on some money! It really pisses me off when people do that!
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    mine has slowed serio0sly also, i sell 75% military stuff so its not just cards, its everything, when all the plants go out everyone works at mcdonalds to pay the bills,noones got any $ left, fenton glass is closing here in williamstown, after 105 years,the are putting in a hino plant(something to do with toyota) 80 jobs=they got 2,500 applications!!!!
    randy
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I'm selling the 'star' cards consistently like Nolan Ryan and George Brett, but the others aren't that popular right now. I thought that it was more because of the fact that I haven't been listing much lately, but I guess that it's just been slow for everyone.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I recently had some good luck with 65 topps baseball...7's and 8's.
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭

<< <i>I recently had some good luck with 65 topps baseball...7's and 8's. >>

I hope I have the same with some 1970 Topps Baseball that are ending tonight - some Low Pops included.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Hacker, what's your ebay name so I can check them out....
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>mine has slowed serio0sly also, i sell 75% military stuff so its not just cards, its everything, when all the plants go out everyone works at mcdonalds to pay the bills,noones got any $ left, fenton glass is closing here in williamstown, after 105 years,the are putting in a hino plant(something to do with toyota) 80 jobs=they got 2,500 applications!!!!
    randy >>

As West Virginia goes so goes the nation.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    In terms of buying I think this summer has had less graded vintage (pre-war) on eBay than in years past.

In terms of selling, I have done more volume out of my eBay store in the last 2 months than I've done in any stretch since I opened an eBay store 1 1/2 years ago.
  • Options
    well i have been buying.. i know i have spent over 1k on pete rose cards.. a few are graded, but the rest are waiting in line. don
  • Options
    you got that right MORRELLMAN!!!! when i got back from nam there were 25+ some chemical and other plants up and down the ohio river, about 4 are left, and im sure every other state is the same,they dont make anything here anymore, china makes it all to try and kill us, like our food, pet food, and colgate with antifreeze in it-dont make much sense to me, i sell more overseas i think than i do in the us, especially germany for some reason- DONRUS-you sound like me- i do more buying than seling as of late-trying to get a-rod and griffey jr rookies psa 10 rookies before they go thu the roof!!! hope they let pete in the halll of fame one of these days, if they let all these dopeheads in they should let him in, he didnt do anything that others havnt,they just didnt get caught!
    randy
  • Options
    sayheykid54sayheykid54 Posts: 779 ✭✭
    I think right now is a great opportunity to buy 50's and 60's high-end graded material. image
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭

<< <i>I think right now is a great opportunity to buy 50's and 60's high-end graded material. image >>

If you are buying, do it on ebay, not an auction house otherwise you'll pay through the nose.
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    I try to buy some in the summer but I never try to sell in the summer.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    been having pretty good luck with my '93s
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Selling stinks, just sold some 84 Donruss PSA 10s, did not get anywhere near what I thought I would!!
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    My ebay store is picking up a little bit from last month but not much. I just opened it about 2 months ago. I have about 300 items in it so far but I set a goal of 5000 items eventually. That seems like a lot but I'm pretty much giving myself forever to accomplish it. I figure I'll use to summer time to pick up bargains to pad the inventory and cross my fingers that the ball gets rolling on it eventually. We'll see.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Had some good luck last night picking up a couple of T-202's and T-218's I'm working on. Just mid-grade cards, but they sold at 75% SMR, and normally are much closer to SMR, so I'm happy!
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Historically, the summer season has a bad track record for selling, so many dealers don't sell or sell as much in the summer months. The upcoming National is also a factor. Many dealers hold back quality stuff for the National.

• Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    I ran a nice selection of 72 BB PSA 9's about a month ago and prices were terrible. The past few weeks I have ran groups of 60 (twice) 1975 BB PSA 9, mostly mid-pops, and averaged close to $35 a card. Was very Happy with the 75's

Like Dude said, historically slow this time of year and I'm probably done selling until Later part of September. Maybe run one more group of 75's if my submission pops in time.

Mark
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Selling has been rather lame, and I just had 3 auctions!

Only 1 out of 3 paid. One of the NPBs turned up NARU a week after the auction, and the other guy (with 2000+ feedback, and lots of "Paid fast!" type feedback for auctions that ended AFTER mine) is now a NPB dispute subject (after 2 weeks and 4 invoices).

Ugh. The guy who actually paid got a SGC 92, 1993 SP Jeter for $52 or so (about $20 less than other SGC 92s have gone for on Ebay).
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    much better the last 2 weeks on mine,i hit a drought ther for a few weeks and didnt hardly sell chit,which is very unusual for my biz,its usually pretty steady, i thought all my reg customers all died at once or something
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    what are the other options? everything for sale on e bay is what no serious collector would even consider.
  • Options
    This month has been steady to strong for me. Last month was unusually weak though. I sell only t206 cards.
  • Options
    been wanting to start the same post recently...not putting up much for sale, but have noticed a significant slowdown in ebay sales cause i watch em every day...it is so noticeable that pretty much all i'm doing now is buying...wondering if the housing situation is starting to have an effect, or its just the summer, or we're getting ready for another "correction" in
    cards...
  • Options
    I have had some very good auctions. With that said, the one card that was a big HURT and
    shock to me was a 1974 #473 World Series card with Willie Mays (His last card) PSA 9 MINT. I
    paid $50 for this card, SMR is $50. It sold for $11.50 ! Holy SNYKEES!

On the other hand, a 1971 Topps Willie Davis #585 PSA 8 Sold for $182 ! I am still trying
    to figure that one out. Although, I have noticed a trend. Is Willie Davis like the
    "SECRET" semi-star that there are a bunch of people collect, but, nobody talks about it?
    What I mean is, sort of like Norm Cash is to Al Kaline, etc etc.?

Tony
    KalineFan
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Kalinefan -

No. He's not.