Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

coinstar finds!

so i search every coinstar i come across looking for treasures, well i found quite a few treasures today!!!! I would like some help on identification and any other information anyone may be able to dig up. I think the 1 franc is either tin or aluminum, and the two japanese/chinese coins have 2 different dates im guessing. The 1 KR is actually partly incused which i think is cool.

Comments

• Options
    The Japanese bronze ¥10 on the left is dated Showa 36 (1961) and the one on the right is dated Showa 58 (1983).

There must be coin collectors working in all the local stores with Coinstars, as I have never seen a coin in any of the reject slots I've checked out. image
    Roy

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    The 1 franc is an aluminum issue from the Vichy French government, , Castelsarrasin mint, Krause 885a.3. A common WWII issue.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭
    I found a 1949-S Roosevelt Dime once.
  • Options
    A lot of the soda machines take the 10Y piece as quarters... even though they are worth about 9 cents... lol.
  • Options
    The first is a 1 cent from the Bahamas, second is 10 pence from Great Britain, third is 1 Krone from Sweden, and the 1 Franc is NOT a Vichy France issue. Bosox got the catalog number right but it is a French Republic issue. The Krause catalog is a bit confusing because they mix together the Republic and the Vichy issues without identifying which is which other than the base catalog number. The Republic issues are 885, 885a.1, 885b, 885a.2, and 885a.3 The Vichy issues are 902.1, 902.2, 902.3 The decimal point numbers indicate different mintmarks. (It used to be they prefaced the catalog number with V so you knew which numbers were the Vichy issues.) They are listed in the book without explaination in the order

(picture of Republic coin)
    885a.1
    (picture of Vichy coin)
    885b
    885a.3
    885a.2
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the information Writersblock! I did not know the relationship between the KM numbers and the Republic/Vichy coins and had assumed that the catalog listed all the Vichy issues under the picture of the Vichy coin. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm