Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Okay, why doesn't this coin make full band (torch)?

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
Anyway it made MS67 and it sure is close!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its clad ?

Ken
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    If weakness exists on the lower bands, it must be on the left (shaded) side.
    I see nothing else keeping it out of a FB holder. Only other reason would be WHEN it was graded, before or after PCGS started the clads in FB holders. image
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>If weakness exists on the lower bands, it must be on the left (shaded) side.
    I see nothing else keeping it out of a FB holder. Only other reason would be WHEN it was graded, before or after PCGS started the clads in FB holders. image >>

Graded last week.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Well if the split in the lower band looks as good on both sides as it does in the picture, you got hosed.
    What is the cert #? May be that it comes up as FB, making it a mech error.
    Dan
  • Options
    No mechanical error. It was the only dime in a group of six that didn't go FB. All I can figure is they think the left is a bit weak?

• Options
    When you get a chance, turn the coin 180 deg. and retake the pic. so we can see the left field.
    Dan
  • Options

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Not FB. Lower left band has a bridge
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This brings to mind my philosophy that if I collected this series I'd try to buy the nicest non FB coins I could ... rather than pay a huge premium for the tiniest bit of extra strike.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This brings to mind my philosophy that if I collected this series I'd try to buy the nicest non FB coins I could ... rather than pay a huge premium for the tiniest bit of extra strike.

Boy, do we agree on that TDN!!!!! I have been saying AND doing that for years now.
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    .....yep, there's a bunch of folk here that go after the nicest of the nice non-FB coins.......and prices have improved in the last year after dropping precariously after the FB designation intro several years ago.
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    Well at least this submission I was able to get five out of six. I've had a tough time figuring these out. I have some that look better than this one that hadn't made it either. They must use a microscope to make sure the bands are there. You can barley see this one when it is enlarged to the extent I had to make it just to see it didn't make it. Thanks for the comments everyone.

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I quit sending in modern stuff for the same reason. Back in the mid ninties, I built a modern collection out of nothing but cherry picked mint sets. I took the five nicest dimes from the collection and sent them in. Four came back 65 and one came back 66. None were full band. That was the end of that....

-David
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well at least this submission I was able to get five out of six. I've had a tough time figuring these out. I have some that look better than this one that hadn't made it either. They must use a microscope to make sure the bands are there. You can barley see this one when it is enlarged to the extent I had to make it just to see it didn't make it. Thanks for the comments everyone. >>

A designation that requires a microscope to determine is not one for which I'd pay very much of a premium.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merc dimes are often not fully split in the centers with detail yet often called FSB. It's probably only a matter of time before the Roosies
    morph towards a looser definition of FB.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Nope, exact reverse for Roosies. To start with they were loose, now they have tightened up on the bands, though it seems every once in awhile one sneeks through that is not fully split.
    Dan
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure that mercs have tightened and loosened alternately over the past 20 years. But the trend has been generally looser. I have no doubt that over many years, the Roosies should loosen up. This happened with FH, FBL, DCAM, CAM, RD, FSB, Full Steps. Why should FT be any different? And if not enough coins are getting graded after a number of years, they will definitely loosen up to increase the supply.

In no case over the past 20 years has anything tightened up over the long run. AT least not from what I can see. It would be nice to see grade deflation, but I don't think it's realistic.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Con's don't have bands. Maybe coins that are dimes have bands, and PCGS doesn't care about the torch.image
  • Options

<< <i>.....yep, there's a bunch of folk here that go after the nicest of the nice non-FB coins.......and prices have improved in the last year after dropping precariously after the FB designation intro several years ago. >>

Who are they ?

Ken
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< .....yep, there's a bunch of folk here that go after the nicest of the nice non-FB coins.......and prices have improved in the last year after dropping precariously after the FB designation intro several years ago. >> >>

<< <i><< Who are they ?

Ken >> >>

Ken

Craig's correct, and I would place myself in that classification. Many of my best Roosies are Non-full Band. Rainbowroosie is another who could care less about the Bands. We love "color" first...MS67+ (speaking for myself). Although I own a number of very colorful MS66's.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the Full Band criteria needs to be addressed alittle differently then it has. The picture below in my sig line is from the PCGS archives and it just doesn't do any justice to FB Roosies. Assuming that the Expert Roosie Guys around here know, and for those of you that do not know, that there are several different styles of Full Bands for Roosies. Not all Roosies are the same.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    IMO, it did not get FB because of the ledge between the end on the band and the plane of the field. FSB coins have the bands going all the way to the fields. If you have a ledge PCGS will not give FSB.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyway it made MS67 and it sure is close!

image >>

Looks like a nice Q3 quality coin if Roosevelt's profile and the rest of the coin is as markfree as the picture shows. The strike looks very strong with plenty of detail in hair. Strike, grade/condition and luster are the 3 qualities I see. A very desirable coin if it's markfree!

Some eye appealing toning would make it a rare Q4 coin. Add an EDS strike (worth two points in my book) and prooflike surfaces or fields and we're looking at the most coveted coin of them all, the Q6!

Make no mistake about it, the most discriminating eye will seek out those coins with the most qualities about them!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

<< <i>This brings to mind my philosophy that if I collected this series I'd try to buy the nicest non FB coins I could ... rather than pay a huge premium for the tiniest bit of extra strike. >>

A tiny bit missing dime. Can you see the missing part ? Price difference is about a cool $1000.00

imageimage

Ken