Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I should have known better... Coast to Coast Coins. Bleagh.

It's long been recommended to not purchase from dealers that have multipage splash ads in Numismatic News or Coin World... you know, the ones offering $15,000 raw coins and using lots of Hot! RARE! and other whizbang words... where every coin in inventory is a Gem BU... yeah right.

Well, I guess you only learn by trying. This month they were offering 15th and 16th century Hungarian Denars in AU for $14.99 each, 10 for $139. Both undated and dated coins. I called up and asked if they could tell me approximately what proportion were dated versus undated (I'm working on a date set, so really am not interested in the earlier undated coins). I was told that I get what I get.

Still, with a 14-day return policy as long as the coins were not removed from the holders, I figure I'd gamble.

My lot of 10 arrived today. On the upside, 9 of the 10 coins were dated, so had they been in the condition advertised (or even close) I would have been very happy.

Not so much.

Of the ten coins, NONE were what I consider to be AU. Two had XF detail, with the remainder being F to VF. Seven of the ten coins had major planchet defects, or damage. Worse than the usual average.

I can't see how anyone who wasn't legally blind would call these AU.

So... at what point does misgrading become deliberate and intentional fraud?

None of the coins looked even remotely like what they picture on their web site.

Needless to say I'll be returning these pronto.

Comments

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    wonder if ole' Ken Pines is related to the two goofballs (Jimmy and Laura) on Treasure Hunter. all slick talkin' and nothing to back it up. sorry to hear about your bad luck, but i can't say i'm surprised. kinda' like the luck with my Crown in the previous thread; sometimes you have to take a calcuated risk if the return policy is sound.

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So... at what point does misgrading become deliberate and intentional fraud? >>

I would love to see someone try to answer that question with respect to Coast to Coast and their business practices.

FYI, Maryland has relatively strong consumer protection laws, so it would not be a complete waste of time to contact the state authorities.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's long been recommended to not purchase from dealers that have multipage splash ads in Numismatic News or Coin World >>

Jon Kern being the exception to that otherwise very good advice.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com